Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

could a well known tranny co. be selling junk??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could a well known tranny co. be selling junk??

first off im not going post the name of the trans comp. because i dont know 100% that they are ripping people off. so heres the story. around t-giving i purchased a used trans off of another member. he claimed it had very low miles and his truck was cam only so i figured the trans is barely broken in. so i purchased the trans and a few months went by before i could install. finally get the trans in and its obvious that the 3-4 clutch packs were completely gone. so i contact the manuf. who verifies that they sold the member a trans the previous summer. so instead of sending the trans back to them i get in touch w/ a local builder who is very very well known around here for building most of the local race cars trans. this guy is top notch and usually has a long waiting list. so i wait until he can get to mine and tear it down. so one day i get a call from him and hes like get over here your going to want to see this. get to his place and hes got my tranny on the bench w/ all the parts laid out. i had previously given him a print out off of the manuf. web site w/ all the goodies that were supposed to be inside. NONE of them were in the trans. NO beast sun shell, NO upgraded clutch packs, NO machined pump. all he could tell was any diff. than stock was a corvette servo. so im just speechless because this companies reputation is awsome. he wasnt surprised at all he said he sees this all the time w/ "built" trannys that people order online, nothing more than a rebuilt stocker w/ a shift kit. just wondering if anyone else has had their "built" tranny opened up to find stock internals. id also like to add that ive been in contact w/ the person i purchased the trans from and im 99% sure he had no idea about the internals.although id bet my last dollar he knew the clutch packs were gone.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this the trans in your sig?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So the guy sold you a tranny with burned up clutches and you trust him that this is built tranny he bought?

How do you know the guy isn't screwing you over and he still has the built one in his truck.

Last edited by 00ChevyScott; 03-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
So the guy sold you a tranny with burned up clutches and you trust him that this is built tranny he bought?

How do you know the guy isn't screwing you over and he still has the built on in his truck.
This seems a lot more likely than the other option IMO.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

well the trans has the manuf. and what level the trans is engraved into the case of the trans. also before i bought the trans i looked over the sellers recent threads and found where he had been inquiring about adding turbo to his truck and what it would take to swap in a 80e. i also found threads were he said he had purchased an 80e and was looking to purchase the other components to complete the swap. i totally get what your saying about the seller being the crook and not the manuf. thats why i wont name the manuf. and asked if anyone else had experienced anything like this

GMCtrk sorry but im not trying to bash anyone so i wont name the manuf.

basically i got ripped off ive accepted that. im just trying to find out by who. the seller must have known the clutches were bad that is obvious. im trying to find out if anyone else has opened a "built" tranny to find out that its not built as advertised.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Looks like we're looking at

nlawson6.0 and FLT
Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

00chevyscott my intentions were NOT to throw out name or try and accuse ANYONE. you shouldnt have posted those names. im not tryin to start any **** although is seems you may be. anyway back to my original question has anyone opened a built trans to find its not as advertised.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Anyone could've easily gone through your posts and found out who it was. **** it's in your sig.

And if you had problems, they need to be addressed and the people involved should speak up about it. Nobody wants to be scammed on here, so if it's happening then it needs to get fixed.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've opened up more than one "built" trans and found it to not be what it was cracked up to be. BUT it wasn't built by any sponsor here...
Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Scott we need to know who the problem was with if its the seller than its something you need to work out with him. But if its with the transmission company then all of us need to be informed so we know not where to buy unless we know for sure what we think we are getting, really is!
I dont see FLT selling stock transmissions with a shift kit though, they seem to be a little more customer oriented than that, and have a good name. Anymore though I guess you just dont know who you can trust.

Quick Reply: could a well known tranny co. be selling junk??