Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Couple of easy questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of easy questions.

(i did a search)

I just got done buttoning up the install on my L7 flt 65e today, hit the key and it didnt do anything.

I have a feeling that i left a ground off the harness somewhere near the bell housing

How many ground go to this area? I know i got the single top one, didnt have enough time to look everything over.

When i got my FLT there was an orage O-ring in the container, is it for the dipstick tube?

THANKS in advance
BLAKE
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you unhook the starter? if so did you connect both wires?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

didnt mess with the starter, so it should be good i will check it wednsday when i go out there to work on it again.

Main question how many grounds connect to the bellhousing to block mounting bolts.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

bump ttt
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

adjust the gear selector switch on the side of the trans. Also try putting it in neutral and see if it will start then. My switch has been misaligned in the past and it would not start in neutral, only park. Yours might work opposite though.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03lowriderss
...I just got done buttoning up the install on my L7 flt 65e today, hit the key and it didnt do anything.

I have a feeling that i left a ground off the harness somewhere near the bell housing

How many ground go to this area? I know i got the single top one, didnt have enough time to look everything over.

When i got my FLT there was an orange O-ring in the container, is it for the dipstick tube? ...
I don't even remember a ground for trans, but it may've been on 1 of the upper bellhousing bolts, I was in a bit of a hurry. I do remember the big round plug that goes in at the right (passenger side) rear, the VSS hookup on same side, but higher up, & the NSS on the driver's side that must be adjusted correctly.

Yes, the top hat lookin thing is for the dipstick tube. If u forget to install it, you'll have a leak. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

ok i worked on it some more didnt get much farther, here is what i can tell you,
i noticed that the shift cable seems a little to "long" i no that its not as it was in there from day one,

would this indicate that the NSS is mis-aligned?
is there any way to bypass the NSS to eliminate it from the list?

I am sure that it wont start in P or N

i took out the starter fuse under hood and its fine

i check i have two grounds on the bell housing

i took off the starter and hooked it up to the 12 volt battery charger and it seams as tho it works i am going to bring it on and have it checked
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

on the side of the trans, the little lever for the shift cable, if its on backwards the cable wont align right.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

ok i wil look at the way that the little lever is mounted

I noticed this.... when i hook up the battery the indicator for the transmission gear selector doesnt reveal what gear it is in, i am begining to think that the nuetral saftey switch isnt working,

Can you help me to bypass this NSS, it would of course be temporary to determine the problem im am haveing. there must be a way to jump/ bypass it.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing on my truck, it turned out to be the wire on the sensor in the oil pan right by the starter. I guess I bumped it messing with the starter, unplugged it and plugged back in - the truck started.

Steve

Quick Reply: Couple of easy questions.