Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

cryo-tempering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cryo-tempering

Well I've broken my 4L60E transmission for the fifth time - output shaft. (I know I should go to the 4L80E, but with the California smog laws, it's hard.) Anyway, having replaced everything possible, my trannyman suggested cryo-tempering all the hard parts. A cryo-company slowly (about 1 degree per minute) cools a high carbon part to minus 300* with liquid nitrogen, leaves it for 12 hours, then slowly heats it back up. It rearranges the carbon molecules and makes the part 2-3 times stronger. Even works with carbon plastic! Cost is about 10% of the part. That's about $200-$300 for a tranny. I've heard of this but thought it was only for million dollar formula cars. Any of you other more money than brains racers tried this? If you know anything about it let me know. I'm gonna try it. I'll let the forum know how it works.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of your high end trans builders have been cyroing the output shafts,One of the high end shops was getting ready to introduce a billet output shaft.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

It definitely works. I studied metalurgy in college and cryo is used in many applications. Became poular with competition firearms and now is used in lots of places. I have cryo treated rotors and pads. I don't think you need to treat the whole transmission but I guess it would work, I jsut don't see the benefit. I know Chuck @ FLT is a fan of cryo treating certain parts.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

If you find an industrial heat treatment facility in your area they may be doing cryo treatment as well.
Cryo treatment is used in allot more inustries than just automotive.

http://www.frigidind.com/cryo_racing.htm

http://www.metal-wear.com/Cryo_Racers.htm

http://www.americancryogenics.com/process.html
Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

my materials teacher was worthless, I have that final in a few hours, should be soooo nice get out of there and not have to listen to someone that knows less then the students. He never even mentioned cyro treatments
Old 12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AintNoHo
Well I've broken my 4L60E transmission for the fifth time - output shaft. (I know I should go to the 4L80E, but with the California smog laws, it's hard.) Anyway, having replaced everything possible, my trannyman suggested cryo-tempering all the hard parts. A cryo-company slowly (about 1 degree per minute) cools a high carbon part to minus 300* with liquid nitrogen, leaves it for 12 hours, then slowly heats it back up. It rearranges the carbon molecules and makes the part 2-3 times stronger. Even works with carbon plastic! Cost is about 10% of the part. That's about $200-$300 for a tranny. I've heard of this but thought it was only for million dollar formula cars. Any of you other more money than brains racers tried this? If you know anything about it let me know. I'm gonna try it. I'll let the forum know how it works.
welcome to the club, 4 output shafts for me. where in cali are you?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cryo Is The Way To Go. I Have Pistons, Rods, Crank And All The Transmission Cryod In My Race Bike. Running A Lot Of Nitrous And Those Pistons Are Bulletproof. I Would Definetly Do It.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

cryo, i thought, makes it more wear resistant. I didn't realize it increased strength?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Launching!

J, I'm in San Diego, so I'm trying a local company- cryoscience.com. I have broken 2 cranks. First was a Summit iron 383 crank (to be expected), and second was a Scat forged 383 (I think they're made in China). Presently, I have an Eagle forged and internally balanced with which I'm quite happy. If it breaks I'll try cryo tempering. (Both cranks broke completely in half at the front oil passage. Sent the balancer and pulley flying. I suspect weak cranks plus external balancing.)
Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most cranks are made over seas now days eagle and lunato come to mind right off hand that are not made in China. Cry treating will be done on my 80e it seems to be working for the people that have done it and its not too terribly expensive.