Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

cryo-tempering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse my stupidity but how does a 4L80E affect California Smog laws?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bish
It definitely works. I studied metalurgy in college and cryo is used in many applications. Became poular with competition firearms and now is used in lots of places. I have cryo treated rotors and pads. I don't think you need to treat the whole transmission but I guess it would work, I jsut don't see the benefit. I know Chuck @ FLT is a fan of cryo treating certain parts.
FWIW, I have cryo treated rotors and pads also, same set-up as Bish
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by milan
Excuse my stupidity but how does a 4L80E affect California Smog laws?
Not stupid at all. California smog laws are confusing as hell. Technically, ANY change from a stock part or program without a CARB OE number is illegal. That means computer program, shift rpm, gear ratio, converter lock-up, as examples. My truck has already been "profiled" because of it's age and mods on previous inspections as a potential "gross polluter" and I have to go to "test only stations" to renew my registration. That's like secondary inspection at the border. I phoned a "smog referee" to ask about changing trannies. He said if I want an answer in writing the answer is no-way, but if I change it and the engine sniffs ok, doesn't throw a SES light, and no crime fighter sees the bigger tranny, I'm ok. That wasn't reassuring. So I'm in limbo about changing and still fighting with my 4L60E. By the way, a TH400 is most likely a felony.-joke
Old 12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

AintNoHo thank you for clearing that up. I just didn't think changing over to another factory trans violated the smog laws since it is offered in other trucks. I figured it was carb certified but since you have the 93 Blazer I can see how it might not pass.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

an 80 will also eat up more gas than a 60
Old 12-22-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treyZ28
cryo, i thought, makes it more wear resistant. I didn't realize it increased strength?

Anyone?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Trey- Cryo does claim more wear resistance- (gears last longer and turn with less friction), in addition it claims greater ductility (bleeds off heat like aluminum to prevent heat failure) and greater tensile strength (takes more pressure before it fails like a high tensile bolt). At temperatures near absolute zero the carbon flows to the flaws in the metal surface and on reheating crystalizes into a hard bond. That's why best results are with high carbon metal and plastic. Cheap steel doesn't get good results. Cryo also works to a lesser extent with aluminum but I don't understand why. Those are the claims, I'll see for myself if it works better than the fuel line magnet and octane rearranger. Maybe they'll claim I have cheap steel.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

my old boss, when i did some motorsports stuff, told me cryo was useless in a trans because it did little in increase strength. safe to say he knew his stuff. Dont exactly get to be a VP of engineering with bullshitting.

made sense, because wear and tensile strength arent always hand and hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hrodgmc
Why does FLP and other companies do it? They could save $200-300 and the extra hassle. I prefer cryo'd over hardened.

I dont know why they do it, but just because they do it doesn't mean its done to make them stronger. might even be a "make you feel warm and fuzzy" or increase wear resistance thing
Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by treyZ28
my old boss, when i did some motorsports stuff, told me cryo was useless in a trans because it did little in increase strength. safe to say he knew his stuff. Dont exactly get to be a VP of engineering with bullshitting.

made sense, because wear and tensile strength arent always hand and hand.

Who was your boss?