Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Cryo Treating? *Trans Experts*

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Why the TCI converter?
Just one that i've been looking at, I can get one for about 680bux, I want to retain Lockup, be in the 3400-3800rpm stall range, I would prefer a 10" converter but i can stick with a stock size. I plan to run about 500-600wheel hp through it with a Single Turbo 383.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin_inc
Just one that i've been looking at, I can get one for about 680bux, I want to retain Lockup, be in the 3400-3800rpm stall range, I would prefer a 10" converter but i can stick with a stock size. I plan to run about 500-600wheel hp through it with a Single Turbo 383.
You should check out our converters they too are 20% off and excellent quality 9.5 inch 1 year warranty .
Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

TCI isn't one of the favorites around here. Read a bit before jumping and purchasing something you'll regret or have to swap out of later. There is a ton of info available to you on these boards. Use the search.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Justin_inc
no, but i have not come up with many options for an 80E swap in an OBS truck, running a stand alone (megasquirt) ecu. I would have no way of controlling the functions of an electronic transmission, and i really don't feel like shelling out that 1000 bones for a TCU.

So far the plan is, beast sun shell (cryo treated), new drums, vette servo, 29 element sprag, kolene steels and alto reds, Transgo Shiftkit, Longer Servo pin, wide bands, all new bushings/bearings, 13vane pump, hardened pump rings, cryo treated input/output shafts. (i've been thinking of getting the drums cryo'd as well). Of course there will be a boost valve in there and all the other small 'nick knacks'.

I plan to run a TCI Super Street converter (with lockup, should stall 3200-3600rpm i think).

How do i keep the shift firmness in line? i dont want super jarring shifts, but i want them to be firm and felt as well as keeping the transmission alive
on the shift kit th transgo HD2 but i like it without washers in the acum works really well for a moderate light throttle shift and what you need on the floor
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Cryo treatments have been around for a long time , How much it help is from the reading I have done debatable, But there is some good info on it at this link ,
http://www.onecryo.com/onecryo/cryogenic-tempering.htm
As for the sunshell I would definatly go beast , A set of five pinion planets would be in order if budget allows though there are alot of higher powered vehicles doing fine with the 4 pins. Beyond that good servos .a good shift kit but dont get carried away with the shift firness common mistake. Boost valve , 10 or 13 vane pump rotor set though most late 700s already had the ten . Sonnax pump slide spring is high rpms are in ming but a dual slide spring a must all 700s did not have this. Hardened pump rings a must.
Better 3-4 set any of the following work well , Zpack Raybestos,Borg warner high energy set,Alto reds with Kolene steels, Raybestos blue plates. Borg warner 29 element dual cage input sprsg a must. Others I a sure will chime in but hope this helps .

That sounds almost exactly like the build list for my transmission. I bought my own stuff and had a well known local guy install everything. I tried to do my homework and it's good reassurance that you guys recomend all that stuff.

Oh and I highly recomend the vacuum mod kit. I have one for my 4l60e and I love it.