Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

cutting coils??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkonblk
i have also been wanting to drop my truck a lil more up front right now i have 2/4 belltech drop but would like it to be more of a 3 or even 4 up front. keep us posted on how it rides if you do it and what you used to cut it
will do. Hopefully this week since Im bored as **** without a job and if my dad's slow I can probably do it.

Like RandomHero said. Dont cut coils if thats how you've already dropped it. Im cutting factory coils. IMO the 2" belltech coils ride just as well as factory, just has less body roll due to thicker coils and a lower stance. However I scrape every where with small tires on 17" rims. I will be putting bigger tires on the front once I get a job again.

If you want I can sell you the front coils after I cut my factory's. PM me if your interested (given you dropped your truck already with spindles)
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do cut them use the thinest cutting wheel you can get and set them in a bucket of cool water while you cut.

I had a front spring change temper on me once by cutting it in the summer sun with a 5/16 wheel. Ever since then I have done the above, and not one failure. I have about 18 cuts under my belt so far.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

sweet could you advise me on how much spring to cut off for 1" drop? I will keep that theory in mind for sure tho
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall hearing 1/4-1/2 coil for a 1" drop. It's hard to say cut x amount for x amount of drop. Have also heard that much more than a 1 coil will result in a poor ride. It isn't the best option, but like randomhero said, to gain about and 1" or less it is possible.

Just do like suggested and cut a little at a time until you get the desired results. 1/4 coil is a good first cut, and then go from there. You can also cut the passenger side a little more to compensate for the chevy lean.

Last edited by 02BlueStepside; 07-31-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

I always measured from the top of the spring pocket to where ever the magic point was a marked it whaile the suspension was loaded.

If your already low put the front tires on some ramps " It gives you more room", and jack up the rear of the vehicle till its level. Then measure from the top of the spring pocket to the point thats the amount you want to lower. Remember you have to measure to the topside of the coil not the middle OK.

Sometimes it was a coil and a half sometimes it was 3/4 of a coil.

Either way Cut one coil first and use the scrap piece to measure your second. Either way it will end up with in a 1/8 distance length wise or a 32nd in true ride height.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention.

But if you cut to much you can get isolator pads to raise it back up a bit. I once used a table saw to trim some for a friend to get the perfect ride heigth. I know summit has ones that are about 5/8 thick.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

1/2 coil = 1 inch of drop. Stock OBS springs will also net 1 inch. Just cut from the bottom of the spring and you're good to go. I cut 1 1/4 coils off some v6 springs with Edelbrock shocks and it dropped me 3 inches; v6 springs are different as Randomhero mentioned.

My truck with cut coils and good shocks rides better than it did from the factory FWIW and transfers well.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

sweet, great info guys I really appreciate it

hopefully I can get around to it pretty soon
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

i cut a coil off of my v6 springs and it drpped about 2.5 inches. it does ride a lil better on some roads and highway drivin, but some of those neighboroods and side streets it seems to soft.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

now that my coils settled back in. i had to drive across town today and my control arms are bottomed out on bumpstops and it rode like **** since there was no upwards travel. so i ordered a set of 2in drop spindles from Tims Suspension

Quick Reply: cutting coils??