Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

CV axle brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default CV axle brand?

I feel like one of both of the front CV axles on the Denali are going bad so I was looking into replacements. Prices are all over the place from $57 to $444. Rockauto has Trakmotive, GSP and Cardone with the cheapest prices while the local parts stores have Carquest, Precision, MasterPro, Duralast and AC Delco. I have a feeling the part store brands are just re-branded Cardone units. I know Precision is middle of the road on bearings so I presume they are about the same here.

What is the collective insight or experience on good replacement CV axles?
Old 01-08-2022, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

The shop I worked in for years always used new axles from NAPA and we rarely ever had a come back for a problem axle. I've bought probably 8 axles over the past 5+ years from NAPA as well for my vehicles or someone I am doing work for, never had one go bad.

I'd trust them and I'd for sure trust a new AC Delco axle as well.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Bumping this one back up for other opinions on a quality replacement.

I went with a CarQuest replacement from my local AAP, which the part number cross references to GSP. The first set lasted a little over a year till the boots split. Warranty replacement set lasted about 4 months. I've been riding on those for a while but now the right side is starting to make some noise. I don't intend on putting a third set of these in.

I am curious as to if the heavy duty versions with TPE boots are actually better than the standard duty with Neoprene boots? It seems like the first replacement set cracked the boots after a cold snap we had last winter. Second set saw no extreme temps though.