Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Damn brakes are mushy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damn brakes are mushy

A buddy and I replaced the factory rubber lines with stainless braided lines tonight, we bleed them good to where no air was coming out and the brakes are still very mushy. When the truck is off they are pretty hard but when the truck is on the brake pedal almost goes down to the floor. When I stop ont eh brakes hard from a 20-40 roll it slows down but no where near how it should. We came back to my garage and there was a bit of fluid on the rear tires where some fluid was apparently squirting out of the bleeder, so he tightened them up and we bleed the brakes again to make sure there was no air in the lines and got the same result as before. The only thing I can think is there is still some air in the lines but we emptied the master cylinder 1.5 times while bleeding it, there shouldnt be any air still in the lines. We are going bleed them again tomorrow but I figured I would ask and see if anyone had any bright ideas. Im getting tired of working on this damn thing, Im ready to drive it and enjoy. On a good note all the fuel trims are close on the break in tune and everything else seems to be working right so hopefully after this brake thing is lined out I can go play. The damn corsa is WAAAYYY too loud with lts, no cats and a 420 cubic inch motor breathing through it so a magnaflow will be put upstream of the muffler and possible some metallic cats.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you don't suck the master too low or you'll suck air. I'm thinking bad booster. Unplug the vacuum line to the booster and plug it off then drive it. If it doesn't get worse then you have a bad booster.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

can you get ahold of a Tech2??? You can do an automated bleed with it, and get al of the air out of the EBCM as well. Not saying this is your whole problem but I have had a few of these do that to me at work.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 AM

I dont know if I can get ahold of one or not, only HPT I think. Ill see if James knows anyone who could hook me up. We never let the reservoir get emptied, we kept it topped off for the most part, never low enough to get any air in the lines again. Ill try the brake booster line tomorrow when I get home from work. Time to catch some ZZZs gotta be up for work and 5 hours
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Tribe Shaman

Your stuff has been sitting for a long time Cody.
could be the booster, the master cylinder, or air trapped in the
Anti lock system.
need to hit up a shop with a power bleed set up
And let them pump about 2 cups out of each break.
this will not only bleed out any air but also any water
That may be in your system now.
If it still feels bad after that, check the booster and the master cylinder.
They can go bad just sitting on the truck and not being used.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did u happen to remove the calipers ? If so maybe there installed incorrectly bleeder plug has to be on top. When you bled them did u do the x pattern right rear to left rear to front right to left front.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You said brake fluid was leaking around the bleaders? Try putting some thread sealent on the threads. Someone I work with was have a problem with air getting into the brake system through the bleaders. His car has been sitting for close to a year also. Worth a shot.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Thanks sealant on the bleeders sounds good too. I didnt remove the calipers.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Try gravity bleeding them. On the Isuzu NPR's that i work on sometimes you have to gravity bleed them for 24 hours. IF you open all of the bleeders up slightly and make sure the master stays full it can bleed itself.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
You said brake fluid was leaking around the bleaders? Try putting some thread sealent on the threads. Someone I work with was have a problem with air getting into the brake system through the bleaders. His car has been sitting for close to a year also. Worth a shot.
You can't do that. The threads don't seal the bleeder screw. They seal with a tapered seat at the end of the bleeder. Pull the screw clear out and make sure there is no trash in the seat.

Sound like you still have some air in there some where. I'd give it another go at bleeding them

Quick Reply: Damn brakes are mushy