Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!

The other day I was leaving the fire station and jumped into heavy traffic. I went WOT to catch up to normal traffic at 55mph. When I hit second my truck did not spin the rears like normal. It instead kicked the **** out of me and lost 2nd. It also lost 4th and Rev. I was pissed because when I had the transmission rebuilt I had it replaced with performance clutches, bands, and the beast sunshell. I am sure I lost a band. So I limped over to my transmission shop and the guys jumped on it right away. I got a call today with some weird news. They said the sunshell was broke almost like someone cut it. The owner said he never seen "The Beast" destroyed before. I am hoping that it was a defect because I am sure I don't make enough power to break one. I do have a shift kit and vette servos. I also have torque management turned off and the shift points changed. Does anyone have any idea how it may have broke?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn!! for what I've been reading for a while is that the beast sunshell is supposed to take a beating, do you have some pics?

Some vendors say that they have never seen one break.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jhe2003
Damn!! for what I've been reading for a while is that the beast sunshell is supposed to take a beating, do you have some pics?

Some vendors say that they have never seen one break.
When I pick up my truck I will get some pics for ya. Bob from southwest gear said it looked like someone cut it in half. I am thinking maybe since I got new taller and wider tires It is putting more strain on the transmission even though it is still spinning the rears in 2nd. hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah im curious also.. You are basically stock.. The beast is a beast.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I am hoping it was a defect. I am planning a lq4 swap and keeping the 4l60e. I do not want to swap to a 4l80e due to what I heard of problems with the transfer case mounting to it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your name speaks for it self.. LMAO keep the crow bars away from this guy..
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yah im curious also.. You are basically stock.. The beast is a beast.
I read on other forums that the beast is being made overseas now and the quality isn't as good, can't verify first hand though.. The builder I'm going to order from has me convinced that the GM heat treated shell will suffice for my needs and that it will likely be smoother than with the beast because GM piece is better balanced than the Beast so he says. I wonder how the Sonnax Smart shell compares to the beast?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Your name speaks for it self.. LMAO keep the crow bars away from this guy..
If only you knew how many ambulances I have blown up! They are powerjoke fords so it is no surprise. I keep our mechanic busy with plenty of job security.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Launching!

does anyone make anything in america anymore? geez, in the name of production cost (not like the price of the unit drops for us) they're willing to sour the good reputation of their product! pretty frustrating and auto parts manufacturers seem to be amongst the worst. no wonder china owns us and is emerging as a world financial superpower. we're handing them the damn keys!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
I read on other forums that the beast is being made overseas now and the quality isn't as good, can't verify first hand though.. The builder I'm going to order from has me convinced that the GM heat treated shell will suffice for my needs and that it will likely be smoother than with the beast because GM piece is better balanced than the Beast so he says. I wonder how the Sonnax Smart shell compares to the beast?
If this happens again I may have to make the jump. I will start using my truck to respond to calls as soon as I get my light and siren package. Since a lot of our county is desert and mountain I need something that can handle the punishment of WOT in 4wd and 4low in sand.

Quick Reply: Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!