Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny that this post was brough bavk to life. i ended up buying a cobalt ss to get me around and save fuel. the gf and i decided to take the silvy out for a spin. on the freeway some pos ram pulled in front of me. i quickly went wot and down shift to 3. broke the sun shell oncr again for the third time. lol
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that are using these shells let me shed some light on this situation. Just for a little background I have some close contacts with the people that manufacture this part. As you can see from the pictures there have been some issues in the past with this shell.

The issue was the company that produced these shells decided on their own to make a design change without the permission of the patent holder. The issue was they made it a 3 piece design when it was only 2 piece design in earlier production. The 3 piece design could break exactly where you see it torn apart in the sun gear area. This was a huge mistake by the vendor and well they lost their contract making this shell.

Since then all the operations have been moved to a new vendor and the design was returned to the way it was originally. If you are building one of these units and plan on using a beast I say go for it. However make sure that you are installing a new shell with the "SAP" logo on the shell. If you do not have this logo then you have purchased old stock and it might be the 3 piece design as this change took place in January of 2009.

Obviously this new logo was added for an identification however there were never any markings telling us when the shells were produced in the past. I guess what I'm saying is that not all of the pre SAP shells were bad and worked just as they were supposed to. If you have a used shell that is still in one piece chances are its fine. For the price of the shell you can always replace the beast if it gives you piece of mind. I currently still use these shells on units I build and look forward to some other changes that this part might just offer in the future!" I hope this helps some. Vince
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another broken shell

My wife just got back from a 2000 mile trip and the next day lost 2nd, 4th and reverse. I pulled my receipts and I put the beast in 2.5 years ago. It broke just like the others who posted a picture on this forum. I personally can't put another one back in as I had to pay to have the transmission removed again so I can perform the same repair. I've bought the Sonnax and although it cost more money, I can't take another chance on the Beast. This should only be a one time repair. And of course the parts place says that's the first one they seen broke.