Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Detroit Tru-Trac, Hating life, Nearing death...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Detroit Tru-Trac, Hating life, Nearing death...

Well I was installing all new fluids last night and everything was going like a champ. Then I moved to the rear to install a set of Superior Axles and things got sh@tty. I have some glazed color teeth both sides, but most on divers side and some big time wear on the housing. I've run 80-90 weight in it since day one and it gets changed every two oil changes. (4k miles)

Looks like it's just not up to the task of 600+HP and slicks/trans brake. I don't have any metal shaving, but I do have some flake in the oil. How long till it goes boom? It makes no odd sounds and works fine.

Whats next in a 10 bolt? A full locker? Kind of bummed out about all this.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks.i've always herd they would handle alot but guess not
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure that blue/gold color wasn't there from day one?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't install it, but I can tell you where the housing is being chewed up was not there from the start. I'd think the blue/gold heat marks would come from the friction.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04
I didn't install it, but I can tell you where the housing is being chewed up was not there from the start. I'd think the blue/gold heat marks would come from the friction.
Sometimes heat marks are made during manufacturing / heat treating.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't look too bad from the pics just looks like normal wear and tear. I wouldn't be too worried about it. When it starts to let loose one side or the other and not work right anymore is when I would be concerned. Have you checked out the auburn ECTED rear limited slip? It's a locker/ limited slip in one unit. Acts like a limited slip during normal driving but has a electrical switch that when activated turns it to a full locker. It's pretty cool its what I'm going with in my 10 bolt.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

« Back to Product Categories
ECTED Max - Locker
The ECTED Max is a selectable traction device; an on/off switch is mounted near the driver. When “off” – the clutch pack (7), which is located behind the side gear (6) provides the limited slip mode. As torque increases, the separating forces within the differential gears increase, causing the clutch pack to be compressed and thereby providing bias torque to the high traction wheel – your performance limited slip differential action. When selected “on”, current is sent to the electromagnetic coil (8). The coil is retained by a clip that fits over one of the bearing cap bolts, making it non-rotational. The coil rides on a ball bearing (9). The ball bearings spin with the differential case (10).

The coil creates a magnetic flux so that the pilot cone (1) is pulled into engagement with thedifferential case (10). This frictional engagement causes the bearing ***** (2) to ride up on a ramp machined into the side gear (3). This radial travel of the ***** (2) also causes lateral movement of the side gear (3). The lateral movement of the side gear (3) applies a force onto the center block (4). The center block (4) has an elongated hole that the center pin (5) fits through, allowing it to float. The center block (4) applies force to the opposite side gear (6), compressing the clutch pack (7) giving the user a solid axle assembly – the spool/locker performance you desire at the strip or off-road.

ECTED Max™ Advantages
ECTED Max gearing is made from aircraft quality, 9310 heat-treated billet steel to make it as tough as nails!
ECTED Max*can be switched on or off “on the fly,” at any road speed.
ECTED Max*does not have any shift forks or pins that must be lined up to obtain locker mode.
ECTED Max*is quiet – say good-bye to noisy lockers!
ECTED Max*is backed by an industry-leading one-year warranty, just like all Auburn Gear Performance Differentials.
ECTED Max*is backed by the industry-exclusive program. D-REX = Differential – Replacement EXchange Program.
ECTED Max*can be used in front axle applications – with or without lockout hubs.
ECTED Max*is the only selectable locker that offers both limited slip and locker modes. Forget the rest - go with the best!
******* Important Note: The*ECTED Max*is not recommended for use in front axles that feature an "Inter-Axle Disconnect."

In the product configurations offered,*ECTED Max*is the only selectable locker that offers both limited slip and locker modes. For get the rest - go for the best

Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a stronger rear....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locker!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to me like Trutracs are failing rather often these days..

Quick Reply: Detroit Tru-Trac, Hating life, Nearing death...