Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Detroit Tru-Trac, Hating life, Nearing death...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04
Have you pulled the cover and inspected it? Mine still works fine with no odd sounds either.
Yeah, few thousand miles ago I pulled it out of the 08 silverado and dropped it into my sierra. Everything looked great.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Rob,

I was thinking about this, and it didnt make sense. If you had enough fluid in it, there should have been enough cooling. When it blued, it obviously got hot. Well then I got thinking that you tow with it. I assume there could be enough weight with the boat to cause stress on the gear creating heat. I have heard that they offer stronger springs that will make it lock up after more force is applied. Just a thought.

The eaton use springs and clutches.. the Trutrac uses the helical gears.
Think you got that a lil mixed up.

Only other thing i could think of is the tire height being a little off causing the "slip" and creating heat? but that looks a bit extreme.

have you sent the pics to Detroit and get their opinion for what its worth. im sure they have engineers there somewhere?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I towed 10K 12 hours straight with my old Z71 which had a 10 bolt. Its not a towing issue he is having. Towing heavy for a long period of time does cause a lot of heat in the diff but his boat is a lot lighter than 10K and he hasnt pulled it that long straight either. I bet his problems are from the trans brake.

Foose, if I were you Id look into going to a 14 bolt and never look back if you really do plan on pushing this thing for a lot longer or harder. Plenty of people have gone fast on 10 bolts but you seem to really run yours hard. Hate for your rear to lock up on you at 100+ mph going down the track. The 14 bolt rear is a big reason I insisted on getting a Vmax. Its hard to beat pure beefyness.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foose04
Have you pulled the cover and inspected it? Mine still works fine with no odd sounds either.
Ive been running mine for over 2 years now and i pulled the cover a few months back and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary... and i have beat it... badly for the last two years.. track, offroad, doughnuts and random stupid stuff... but mine is about 200hp less than yours but mines alot heavier of a pig...

I like the true trac myself... I had the yukon duragrip before and it never seemed to work right to me... and ive seen a buddy go through a handful of the eaton units and they felt like the broke when they locked up

trans brake is goin to be hard on stuff... a shockload from a deadstop on sticky pavement with sticky tires somthing will give eventually... you could do as others have mentioned and put a girdle cover and weld the tubes you could even gusset them and help hold it together and keep flex to a minimum. Otherwise your goin to need to upgrade axles to something with more beef... either a 14b or 9" somthing of that nature... dont waste your time with a 12bolt (saw that mentioned somewhere in this thread) they arent much stronger at all than a 10 and just heavier
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I didn't know the Vmax trucks had a 14 bolt... Mind snapping a pic of that beast?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't mean towing heavy weights. What I was meaning that the boat might just be heavy enough to keep the helical gears on the verge of engaging causing that problem. I guess it didn't come out right. Just something to think about. More than likely not happening though.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I didn't know the Vmax trucks had a 14 bolt... Mind snapping a pic of that beast?
Not much to see but a spare tire

Ill get a picture while its on the lift this weekend, not much to see except a big ole chunk of steel
Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I didn't mean towing heavy weights. What I was meaning that the boat might just be heavy enough to keep the helical gears on the verge of engaging causing that problem. I guess it didn't come out right. Just something to think about. More than likely not happening though.
The helical gears engage off of wheel speed differential, going in a straight line under heavy load will not lock it unless some wheelslip is present.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines been in for a little over a month now. My old 10 bolt lived a pretty hard life. When I swapped it out I had to pull the axles to switch the disk brakes. The magnet on the cover drain plug was about 1" tall and 2" across with shavings. I always used the drain in the case so I've never taken that one out. The truck had 160+k when it was swapped.
012A14D4.jpg?t=1337474954