Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Detroit TruTrac vs. Eaton LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the TrueTrac....so far I have zero problems with mine anywhere, the track, rain, snow, etc. etc.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my Eaton LSD hasnt let me down in 2 years. even with one tire off the ground. and it stays locked in every condition ive put it in.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
my Eaton LSD hasnt let me down in 2 years. even with one tire off the ground. and it stays locked in every condition ive put it in.
What were you doing with one tire off the ground?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
What were you doing with one tire off the ground?

This is a prime example of where a trutrac would not work
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The trutrac is nothing more than a torque multiplying rear differential. In a nutshell it can only send power to the left rear when there is traction or resistance on the right rear. For ice, snow, and offroad where your right rear tire could get hung up in the air and be subjected to zero traction conditions, torsen style differentials suck. I know since I've run 2 of them in different trucks. Should have learned my lesson the first time. Now for bare tar or dry pavement, they work just fine but that's it. If you snap or pop the clutch with a manual transmission truck and send that right rear tire into a frazzle, it won't send the power to the other wheel because there's no resistance on the right rear. On a eaton LSD with clutches, both back tires are always moving forward at all times. Under cornering the clutches break free to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds, however when driving straight they're both locked all the time so that if a tire gets in a slick condition or is suspended in the air, it'll still transfer power to the left rear since the axles are held together with clutches, make sense?
Makes sense, and my truck does see snow, which makes me rethink whether I want the trutrac or LSD...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry hirdlej, but clutch type diffs can slip too (ask any one with an old worn out factory clutch type posi) when one wheel is fully loaded and the other is not because they are load sensitive too. The only way to have a FULLY lock diff is with a spool, mini spool or a Detroit type ratcheting locker (and even they, in the right circumstances, can not lock), because unlike the friction locker, torsion and clutch type, they are a mechanical lock using interlocking teeth.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Makes sense, and my truck does see snow, which makes me rethink whether I want the trutrac or LSD...
my True Trac sees snow and performs excellent in it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thank you for clearing that up. I had my mind set on the trutrac thinking it worked the opposite of your explanation. I was under the impression that when the RR tire was spinning the LR would kick in.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

according to the trutrac manual, if you are offroad or something of the likes all you do is lightly tap the brakes and the other tire will engage
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight_bowtie
Well thank you for clearing that up. I had my mind set on the trutrac thinking it worked the opposite of your explanation. I was under the impression that when the RR tire was spinning the LR would kick in.
Mine will, but it takes some force upon it to kick in. Like I said, if it is not already spinning both, after a gear shift or if the road surface changes it will lock up.

Quick Reply: Detroit TruTrac vs. Eaton LSD