Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Detroit TruTrac vs. Eaton LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my mind's been set on a trutrac every since I drove and serviced tdrumm's truck with his trutrac. I looked at the unit up close and it definitely looked like a solid hunk of metal. If it's good in the snow as well as on dry pavement, I guess I'll stick with my first gut impression
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just put a full spool in?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderer876
Why not just put a full spool in?
Cause they are solid posi ALL the time. Then your tires hop going round turns yada yada.. Not the cup of tea on a daily...

On a side note. I have had my truck threw mud, both tires have spun regardless of what one had the most or least amount of tracion..
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys can keep your torsen's I'll stick with my LSD. Here's a comparison of a torsen vs. a G80. This goes to show how torsens work under less than ideal conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I understand that True- Trac's also don't work in reverse. Not that I'm in the market for a diff anymore, I just wanted to throw another wrench into all this................

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 01-15-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

lol on the contrary in reverse is the only time I saw my torsen style differential work flawlessly and consistenly lol
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Eaton unit in my Tahoe. I hang this thing out whenever I get a chance. If I only had a little more motor could be really fun.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
You guys can keep your torsen's I'll stick with my LSD. Here's a comparison of a torsen vs. a G80. This goes to show how torsens work under less than ideal conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk
but doesn't the Eaton LSD work pretty much the same way as a True Trac? they both are torque-sensing units, no? the Eaton LSD isn't going to "lock up" like a G80 or a Detroit Locker.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I blew out a traditional Eaton, and a Auborne Locker when i had my old lifted truck, both fried due to clutches slipping, and yes i used the proper fluid.. So when i got my tahoe i bought the true-trac. I constantly drive it in snow and rain, and it never one-wheel-peels when both tires are on the ground. And when one tire comes off the ground( in off road situations) you just tap the brake and it locks up. Im sure they are both good, but i beat the living crap out of my True-trac and it keeps kickin. Here is proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOKI...e=channel_page
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by THE-HOE
I blew out a traditional Eaton, and a Auborne Locker when i had my old lifted truck, both fried due to clutches slipping, and yes i used the proper fluid.. So when i got my tahoe i bought the true-trac. I constantly drive it in snow and rain, and it never one-wheel-peels when both tires are on the ground. And when one tire comes off the ground( in off road situations) you just tap the brake and it locks up. Im sure they are both good, but i beat the living crap out of my True-trac and it keeps kickin. Here is proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOKI...e=channel_page
Damn, you weren't lying when you said you drove that thing hard! I was laughing my *** off when you were driving it on 3 wheels

Quick Reply: Detroit TruTrac vs. Eaton LSD