Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Did I just destroy my g80?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just destroy my g80?

OK i was going around College Station and right infront of the parking garage there is a spot that is always wet at night because of the sprinklers. I let the tires spin a little needless to say. After that it was like I had a solid rear axle. It wouldn't take turns for **** and the tires squealed the whole time during the turns. Then after about the 4th one, I heard a clunk and it stopped acting like it was solid. What happened here?? I didnt do another test to see if both wheels would spin. Ive got about 50 miles left on the warranty, so yea, no more driving.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Going from wet to dry pavement spinning has always been the death wish for the G80. I'd say you are lucky to still have warranty. If you did break it, you will be lucky if you make it to the dealer without a tow. Just depends on how long it takes for the spider gears and axle gears to give up the rest of the way. I'd be very easy on all the curves till you get there.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Going from wet to dry pavement spinning has always been the death wish for the G80. I'd say you are lucky to still have warranty. If you did break it, you will be lucky if you make it to the dealer without a tow. Just depends on how long it takes for the spider gears and axle gears to give up the rest of the way. I'd be very easy on all the curves till you get there.
wet to dry? isnt that what you do at the racetrack every time you burnout in the waterbox? so you shouldnt do that?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

So it is back to normal operation now?? I think you are ok. Mine used to do that all the time. If it locks up hard it will occasionally get stuck till it gets some slack to unlock. Next time it does it try puting it in reverse and rolling back a few feet. That should unlock it.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome
wet to dry? isnt that what you do at the racetrack every time you burnout in the waterbox? so you shouldnt do that?
No you shouldn't. G80's arnt designed for a performance application, they are made to get you out of a slick spot at low speed. Locking while one tire is already spinning quickly is what kills G80s. If you are going to do a burnout, do the best you cant to start the tires spinning slowely and enguage both wheels. Once both tires are spinning you can hammer on it.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

It seems like its back to normal, but i dont really know. Its still moving and not making any noise. I'm not really familiar with the actual internal mechanism though.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are probably OK. It sounds as if it just had a problem unlocking. Mine has done that before, but it unlocked after going around one turn.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

I called a stealership and they said I might just need to be serviced, in which, they just clean it out and put new fluid in. FOR 140 BUCKS!!! I can do this easily by myself, but if there is something broken I want it fixed under warrany. The place where I would do it myself is over 50 miles away, so it would put me out of warrany. So, if I do it myself and there's something broken, Im screwed. What the heck should I do??
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you like the mechanical locker and can get it fixed for free, do so, if you let it ride, and the G80 is toast its like having an open diff, not a real big deal, just a good reason to install a posi and some 4.10s
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think it is actually broken, and I want to do it myself. If the dealership opens it up and finds nothing wrong, then they will charge me the 140 bucks for the fluid change, which is a rook.

If it is broken though, I just wasted some good money cause Ill have to pay to get it fixed. I've given a lot of thought towards the 4.10 and a stouter locker. I just really like the mileage I get now. It always impresses people when you get 19+ mpg with a V8.

Quick Reply: Did I just destroy my g80?