Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Did you Drop it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you Drop it yourself?

Well i just picked up a belltech 2/4 (springs,hangers and shackles) drop kit for the truck and i was wondering if you guys installed them yourselves or had a shop do it? And if you did it yourself could you give me a heads up on some problems you ran into. The truck is an 03 silverado. Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Default picture

here is the truck as it sits now. Hopefully not for long
Attached Thumbnails Did you Drop it yourself?-truck.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did mine myself. DJM. Front lower control arms(4wd), no springs. Hardest part was getting the hangers off the frame. I recommend a good sharp drill and drill most of the head on the rivets and a good cold chisel and BFH from there. Be prepared to drop the fuel tank so start with little fuel in the tank.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

The hardest part about the hangers is the rivets. I used a die grinder and cut a cross (X) into the rivet head, then used an air chisel to cut the heads off. A big hammer and chisel will do the job too. If you have real skinny arms or have a friend who does, you might be able to get to the bolts so you might not have to drop the tank. I don't, so I dropped the tank. The hardest part about the front is getting the ball joint without tearing up the ball joint boot, if you use a pickle fork to separate the ball joint. Most people leave the ball joint a few turns loose, and with a jack under the control arm, hit the spindle as hard as you can with as big a hammer you can swing. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way to do springs in the front is to take out the shocks then unbolt the LCA from the frame with a jack underneath the LCA. Then just slowly lower it and pull out the spring. It took me maybe 30 min. to both sides of the front of mine.

The rear was a lot more involved but only due to cutting the frame for the notch. Of course I did a flip kit so you wouldn't have to worry about that.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i have some work ahead of myself. i guess i better start calling some friends huh
Old 07-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Launching!

I am also doing a kit, adding hangers to the rear and 2" drop spindles in the front......Why do you have to drop the tank?......are we replacing the hangers in the front of the spring or in the rear of the springs? I also have a short bed 2wd like the op! Arent the ext cab's different?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

On some trucks, usually the ext. cabs, the tank gets inthe way of the spring hanger bolts. If you have skinny arms, you might not have to drop the tank. I can't remember if thetank gets in the way of the hanger bolts on the reg. cabs.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

They do but you dont need to drop the tank, just put a jack stand under it and pull the straps off. Then slide the tank to the pass side. I got about 4-5 inches out of it then used a ratchet wrench on the inside of the frame. works like a champ. I have done this on my rcsb and a buddy's SSSilvy, no difference.