Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

die die 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default die die 4l60e

[startrant]

God I wish I could afford a FLT level 7.

Just got my trans back from the builder. Pop it in. Take it for a spin...

I did a better job myself.

I have a flare on the 1-2.... and it simply wont shift into 3rd without alot of effort....

the shift firmness is non existent.

Got pissed and stabbed it from a light...

and it appears I have broken a hard part.. woot.

can't wait until to tomorrow, so i can dump off the truck and tell them to fix it.

[/endrant]
Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

who the hell built your tranny?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you get what you pay for....and a good reason to have a reputable shop do the work
Old 08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You don't have to tell me.. that you get what you pay for. I spent a good hour on the phone with the owner before I even took it in. I paid a decent chunk of change and they are reputable around here. They even took it apart infront of me before they rebuilt it and showed me all the problems
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if you can't afford the level 7, wouldn't it have been worth just getting an upgraded stock unit from one of the better builders like Rossler, FLT, Performabuilt, RPM, etc. Even their entry level transmission would have been better than what you have now.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
Even if you can't afford the level 7, wouldn't it have been worth just getting an upgraded stock unit from one of the better builders like Rossler, FLT, Performabuilt, RPM, etc. Even their entry level transmission would have been better than what you have now.
Although that is good advice, there are tons of other places that know how to build a strong transmission. Not trying to knock our sponsors transmissions, but sometimes a local build is a better option. It sucks that the OP had bad luck with it, but my local built tranny is doing awesome and I promise you I beat on my truck every day.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I always find it interesting that so called "built" transmissions don't last nearly as long as what GM built. Seems like some people just have no business working on transmissions.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have loved an FLT unit but the turnaround was 2 weeks.

I went to a local shop that has GM race cars and did a Transgo HD2 & 4l65e specs with aftermarket frictions ans better shell and it was hell.
We could not kill a harsh 1-2.
After the 4th trip in we got a stock valve body, ditched the transgo parts and went with the Sonnax Performance Pack and both their Super Hold servos and it's fantastic now.

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not saying that you can't get a good local built trans. I used to build them out of my garage back in Michigan for alot of fast cars and trucks with excellent success. I have also highly recomended the same idea that Michael says. Many guys I've recomended a brand new 4L70E from GM for the warrenty with a shift kit installed by someone who know's what they are doing and a well done program. They rarely break with a good shift kit and proper programming. Poor pcm programming can kill a trans faster that a poor build sometimes. My only point with those names is that you don't even have to research them much to realize that they would do the job well. Finding the right local guy can be a pain in the ***. It's very possible as building a trans well isn't something that only big shops/companies can do.

Something to consider for the time issue. There are many companies that build a strong mail order trans. When one can't do it fast enough, call another unless you are really sure that your local shop can build the equivelant. If you have the right shop available by all means use them. Having the job done and then having to take it back over and over again isn't a time saver either.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have any insight why I repeatedly destroy my rear planetary setup (planets/ring gear/etc)? It doesnt look like a lube issue as nothing is discolored. Things just break.

one other question,

what would be the symptoms of a backwards forward sprag

Last edited by stevenc; 08-17-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: die die 4l60e