Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

die die 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the forward sprag element was installed backwards, then you wouldn't move when in Drive. If it keeps eating rear planets, then your are either not getting lube to them for some reason, or your cooler is clogged. Are you flushing your cooler every time the trans is out? Are you getting the converter cleaned every time? And sometimes things go wrong on builds, and it has to come back out. Thats just the way it goes, everybody who builds them knows that and has a comeback once and awhile, including myself. I wouldn't bash them for this, let them try to make it right.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My builder will not use a used torque converter in his builds. Especially if it was a crashed unit because of the difficulty to make sure no particles are left in the system.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

built408,

I always flush. I used 3 cans of kooler clean because it took a while to get clear fluid to come out.

I also had a BRAND new torque converter built.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippy
I'm not saying that you can't get a good local built trans. I used to build them out of my garage back in Michigan for alot of fast cars and trucks with excellent success. I have also highly recomended the same idea that Michael says. Many guys I've recomended a brand new 4L70E from GM for the warrenty with a shift kit installed by someone who know's what they are doing and a well done program. They rarely break with a good shift kit and proper programming. Poor pcm programming can kill a trans faster that a poor build sometimes. My only point with those names is that you don't even have to research them much to realize that they would do the job well. Finding the right local guy can be a pain in the ***. It's very possible as building a trans well isn't something that only big shops/companies can do.

Something to consider for the time issue. There are many companies that build a strong mail order trans. When one can't do it fast enough, call another unless you are really sure that your local shop can build the equivelant. If you have the right shop available by all means use them. Having the job done and then having to take it back over and over again isn't a time saver either.
If you can find a good local trans guy do it. If not Def agree with going with an entry level builder trans

For what I have in mine they have been great.

I change transmissions when I change my engine oil.

But I also beat my truck like it owes me money
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revolutionary
If you can find a good local trans guy do it. If not Def agree with going with an entry level builder trans

i use to go thru 2 sometimes 3 tranmissions per oil change... and thats no lie..
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Revolutionary

I haven't even gotten an oil change on my motor swap yet
Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the truck back from the shop. Been beating the **** out of it all day long. Initial impression of it... shifts pretty good. 1-2 is really hard, need to look into that. Its probably 3 times as hard as it was previously with no stall. 2-3 feels amazing. 3-4 feels good.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevenc
Got the truck back from the shop. Been beating the **** out of it all day long. Initial impression of it... shifts pretty good. 1-2 is really hard, need to look into that. Its probably 3 times as hard as it was previously with no stall. 2-3 feels amazing. 3-4 feels good.
Ask blackbear about the trans tune. If he tweaked the pressures you better get them back to stock and the 1-2 will tame to an acceptable level.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therock
Ask blackbear about the trans tune. If he tweaked the pressures you better get them back to stock and the 1-2 will tame to an acceptable level.

Well. They are not increased enough to cause this kind of harshness. I've had the same tune through all of my trans battles. This transmission is just excessive on the 1-2 tune. I am going to ask them what they did with the valve body. We did remove the transgo kit. It worked perfect with the kit so I am not sure what all was changed.

To give you an example of the harshness. If you have ever thrown a P1870 and had it max out line pressure thats what the 1-2 shift feels like at all throttle positions.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I have been through it with the tune and build conflicts.

As long as we can agree to disagree ...................
You just cannot expect to tweak the trans via hardware wise with a non-stock tune and know where you are at. If you want to frustrate a trans builder this is the way to do it.
For any shift kit the baseline design is for stock pressures. You start there and tweak after the build is considered a success.

And Trans-go is famous for a harsh 1-2 in many applications. Just Google up 4l60e harsh 1-2 and see the hits.

You may have seen my post were we ditched the Trans-go stuff and went all Sonnax on the shift configs. I love it. The only non stock in the tune is no TM and the TCC lockup disabled at WOT in the 3-4.

I hear blackbear is a good vendor and I'll bet he would help you out.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: die die 4l60e