Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Differences in 4X4 and AWD drive train

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in 4X4 and AWD drive train

I am interested in finding out the diferences in the Fullsize truck 4wd and Awd drivetrains. Anything would be helpful.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

the transfer case lets the powertain slip so you can make turns and the front axles are a little different on the AWDs
Old 08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Teching In

I am curious because I am contemplating getting a Silverado. I want traction, especially in the winters, but I want to lower the truck. I know you can lower an AWD much easier then a 4x4 but I don't want to shell out for an SS or anything like that.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by midwest04GTO
I am curious because I am contemplating getting a Silverado. I want traction, especially in the winters, but I want to lower the truck. I know you can lower an AWD much easier then a 4x4 but I don't want to shell out for an SS or anything like that.
actually they are about the same bec the suspesion is the same and the front axle and trnasfercase are the same just different internals
Old 08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

You can use the same lowering parts on a 4WD and AWD. The T-case is the difference, that and the lack of switches and electronics that a 4WD has.

Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a AWD set-up for sell here a while back...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Turbocharged Beserker had the set up, he may still have it.

Dave
Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4x4 has the major advantage of being able to run in 2wd on command, giving you much better MPG. Also when in 4wd mode you get High or Low gearing, Low being for off-road play and pulling things out of the ground.. Oh and a Ford or two stuck in a ditch... High just splits the power 50-50 to the front/rear but, keeps the gear ratio coming out of the trans the same as where Low drops the gear another like 3.56-1 for some insane ground pounding torque!

You should NOT run in 4wd mode though when on dry paved roads because when you turn the 4x4 transfercase does not have a Dif and puts a 50-50 power split to the front/rear. So, when you turn the drivetrain will bind up and not be happy. But, you can run it on wet paved roads and ice with out a problem. Here in Florida the roads got pretty slick when it rains so, a press of the 4wd High button and i am able fly along with no problems...

Oh and on my Avalanche our trucks come standard with the AutoTrac 4x4 Transfercase so, I can select Auto Mode and if the rear slips it kicks into 4wd High to regain full traction and get you going, it will disengage itself after it sees traction regained and you level off to a cruising speed.

AWD is on all the time and has a Dif in the transfercase to allow the front/rear to run and at dif speeds thus eliminating the binding on dry paved roads... but, be prepared for less MPG (probably around 3mpg less over a 4x4) with that setup... Someone told me once that the GM AWD Truck set up puts like 30%power to the front and 70%power to the rear, not sure if thats true though...
Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

My AWD is 35% front and 65% rear all the time but has the ability to transfer up to 100% to the front or rear depending on which is losing traction
Old 09-01-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lord Aries
AWD is on all the time and has a Dif in the transfercase to allow the front/rear to run and at dif speeds thus eliminating the binding on dry paved roads... but, be prepared for less MPG (probably around 3mpg less over a 4x4) with that setup... Someone told me once that the GM AWD Truck set up puts like 30%power to the front and 70%power to the rear, not sure if thats true though...
All sounds good except I'm pretty sure its a viscous coupling in the t-case that allows for the two axes to turn @ different speeds, not a differential...I have been wrong before though

Quick Reply: Differences in 4X4 and AWD drive train