Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Disabling Torque Converter Lockup????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Torque Converter Lockup????

Lockup clutch (it shakes bad) is bad in the wifes '99 Tahoe and I'm not going to have time to change it for a month or so. What wire can I cut to disable lockup or is this even possible?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you're looking for an easy complete disable rather than fixing it, wire the brake switch so it always lights the brake lights. Only other way I know to do it in a reasonable manner is to just use Tow/Haul or get the truck reprogrammed.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

brake lights on isn't practical. Neither is tuning it out. she just drives it around town and mileage or heat is going to be a factor. The issue is the lockup clutch is going to either distroy the main bearings or the trans pump or both if the convertor isn't changed soon and I don't have time to do it now or money to pay someone else. I need it to not lock up. Is it not possible to just cut a wire gong into the trans?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Wildcat
brake lights on isn't practical. Neither is tuning it out. she just drives it around town and mileage or heat is going to be a factor. The issue is the lockup clutch is going to either distroy the main bearings or the trans pump or both if the convertor isn't changed soon and I don't have time to do it now or money to pay someone else. I need it to not lock up. Is it not possible to just cut a wire gong into the trans?
Tow/Haul will keep it unlocked most of the time for city driving. If there is a wire to cut, I don't know which one it is. I can go find my wiring stuff and see if it's labeled.

You will have a check engine light and a code that will never clear, though.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 00Wildcat
Lockup clutch (it shakes bad) is bad in the wifes '99 Tahoe and I'm not going to have time to change it for a month or so. What wire can I cut to disable lockup or is this even possible?
The wire I believe is going to a black wire coming out of the main harness connector or at least that is the color on the inside of the transmission. In your case I believe you might be having an issue with the regulator and isolator valves in the valve body for lock up. Myself I would remove the valve body and pin the valves to see if it fixes your condition.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM
FormerVendor

If you're anywhere near the D/FW area holler at me and I'll take a look at it for ya. Just like Vince stated there are some issues that need to be addressed when you are able to deal with it. It is possible that the converter clutch is simply worn out and causing the chatter... but there could be some underlying issues in the valve body as well.

g
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

The trans is suppose to have less than 5,000miles on it but that was 2 owners ago. It is obvious that it has been out. but the convertor locking up is causing a vibration. I'm a very good wrench but not a good diagnoistic guy (I'm not a mechanic).