Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

DJM drop 2/3 and having issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DJM drop 2/3 and having issues

Three months ago i went ahead and installed a DJM 2/3 drop on my 2002 z71 tahoe. The front was torsion keys and the back was springs with shock extenders. The first issue i had was i couldnt get a good wheel alignment. The front passenger wheel had alot of negative camber. I ended up putting the stock keys back in and leveling it with rear which gave me more positive camber which from my measurements is almost straight. I didnt get an alignment just yet becasue im trying to figure out exactly what i need to do. The other issues is that the ride is horrible. Big bangs in front and really bouncing in the rear. I did cut the front bump stops but left the rears. My next ideas where to install airlift rear coil spring airbags and for the front install 2 inch drop spindles.

What do you guys think? Why is it so horrible just for a minor drop? What is everyone else using for such a minor drop?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

I was at a 2/4-5 on my nbs crew cab & it rode rough as well. I tried doestch tech shocks & they didn't help any.
Now, I'm about 5/7 & have mcgaughy's shocks & helper bags out back & it rides a little better.

I hate to say it but IMO lowering it any amount is going to cause the ride to suffer.

Do you have the belltech street performance or nitro drop shocks? the street performance line is supposed to be good but I hear the nitro drop shocks suck...fyi
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vinniety
Three months ago i went ahead and installed a DJM 2/3 drop on my 2002 z71 tahoe. The front was torsion keys and the back was springs with shock extenders. The first issue i had was i couldnt get a good wheel alignment. The front passenger wheel had alot of negative camber. I ended up putting the stock keys back in and leveling it with rear which gave me more positive camber which from my measurements is almost straight. I didnt get an alignment just yet becasue im trying to figure out exactly what i need to do. The other issues is that the ride is horrible. Big bangs in front and really bouncing in the rear. I did cut the front bump stops but left the rears. My next ideas where to install airlift rear coil spring airbags and for the front install 2 inch drop spindles.

What do you guys think? Why is it so horrible just for a minor drop? What is everyone else using for such a minor drop?
cause more than likely you are an amateur and installed it incorrectly... dont feel bad, cause I did it too. The shock extenders for the rear, im sure you have installed flip sided, its a bit confusing. if you post some pics I can help you. IIRC my ride was bouncy as a basketball when I did that.

i have a djm 2/3 drop, didn't bother with the front keys, cause my 2wd decranked nicely and level, and aligns perfect. The rear was bouncy at 1st but like I said go back over it, and make sure its installed properly. My truck sits nice, and I jump over bumps, and take sharp corners and curves, it handles well. That is also still with stock 2wd shocks.

It should look like this https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=483590
Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
cause more than likely you are an amateur and installed it incorrectly... dont feel bad, cause I did it too. The shock extenders for the rear, im sure you have installed flip sided, its a bit confusing. if you post some pics I can help you. IIRC my ride was bouncy as a basketball when I did that.

i have a djm 2/3 drop, didn't bother with the front keys, cause my 2wd decranked nicely and level, and aligns perfect. The rear was bouncy at 1st but like I said go back over it, and make sure its installed properly. My truck sits nice, and I jump over bumps, and take sharp corners and curves, it handles well. That is also still with stock 2wd shocks.

It should look like this https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=483590
I never got notified of people posting on my thread.....anyway for sleeper the install is done correctly. Going around turns is great and the look is just what i want but i need to figure out the wheel alignment issue first before i start spending money and going with the djm front spindles. If i need to spend that money and go for it to resolve my alignement issue i will but how the hell is everyone else out there that does the DJM torsion key drop getting an alignment.