Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: how many of you regret your choice of drop?
4/6 and love it
38.71%
4/6 is too low
22.58%
2/4 not enough
38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret your drop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a 2/2 drop on an SS. I think its perfect. You really have to look at it to see that its dropped, rides and handles great and still retains all factory load/towing without worry.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 07, I originally put a 2/4, but didn't like the stance. I was toying with the idea of going with a 4/6, but didn't know if I would scrap on everything. I decided to hell with it and put the 4/6 in anyway....I'm extremely happy with the 4/6 and it hasn't bottomed out yet.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Default 2/4 drop at most

i had a 85 with a 5/7 drop back in the day and loved the look but it was a little ridiculous. now got a 91 with a 1/2 drop, going 2/4 soon with 20s. once you purchase lowering equipment, you'll catch hell trying to sell it. i'd rather see you spend your money on springs both front and rear and get the shocks to go with them than spend money on spindles. spindles are worthless... springs will change the ride height and make it handle better... if you just want to spend money, get some sway bars too... use the hotchkis stuff if you can afford it

so: springs first (front and rear, don't buy anything but springs to lower the rear and get some bags if you need to haul stuff), shocks second, sway bars third, and if you just absolutely have to go lower, then buy your spindles and shackles fourth, but i would strongly discourage it.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tdrumm
I'm at 2/4 with Hotchkis coils and leafs. ...
Do u like how your truck rides? U got the swaybars too, right?

Originally Posted by 7845
anything lower then 3/4 around here sucks. just isnt practical here now maybe where the land is flat its possible or where pot holes the size of small children
+1. At 2/4 Hotchkis, this is my problem. Our roads suck!

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
if i go 4/6...would either get slightly smaller but wider tires for my stockers or get some centerline 18"s
When changing wheel size( 17"/ 18/ or 20"), & or width, backspacing, options open up as to what route u can take.

Originally Posted by nightrunner
yep 315/35/R20s out back and 275/40/R20s up front.
they are (height x width) 28.6" x 12.3" and 28.6" x 10.8" respectively
That must look great. Any pics?

Originally Posted by 06 TRed GTO
Do I regret my 2/4 Drop?

Just cruzing around yes! its very harsh

now when I Hit the twistys HELL NO! it sticks like glue.
Mine is harsh over some bumps & potholes. I accept the ride for the look and the handling. I had QA1s on rear only, & think that helped smooth ride. I pulled em so winter didn't destroy the alum. bodies. Belltech Streets in rear, stock in front. That may be creating the harshness I'm gettin.

But it could be something else since I did the TVS drop all at once. I need to put my Belltech fronts on. Different rebound / comp. could be doin it too. It could be havin the 2 diff. shocks on front vs rear, the springs, the sways, or the drop itself. The true way would be to take each TVS component off at a time, but that'd be too much work. I don't have $ to swap out new springs or what not. In lieu of going thru hassle, I may eventually go Air Ride in back. To see if it improves. Plus, I could go lower on command that way. I really do like the look now tho.

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-14-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Fixed for clarity.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is all very interesting as I try to decide what drop to do. I just bot a new set of tires last week - second time around with 305/50/20 - and the size will limit what drops I can get away with unless I change my backspacing (I imagine I cud add wheel spacers - but very leary and no idea what effects they have). I've basically decided to go with the DJM 2" rear drop and see what comes.
If someone can offer advice/suggestions otherwise I'm all ears cause I'd much rather do a 2/4 or 3/5 - I just cant see my tires fitting into the wells. R/
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Here's a 305 on ~4 1/2" rear drop. There is still 1" clearance between the leaf spring and tire. I'd say a 315 is possible with fender rolling like you said.

I like it!

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
...I do believe the rear fenders are higher though, not 100% on that, just what i have observed

Great pics. The scenery looks from a Harley brochure, & Jeff, truck looks great. That's screen saver material there. How much drywall do u haul at most, sheets or weight? What are your tire sizes now? You said u staggered.

I said I may eventually go Air Ride in back; that's not concrete, just an idea. I left out, I hate to change my TVS setup, but CalTracs may figure into mix. I don't wanna screw w/. Hotchkis bushings to run CalTracs, but didn't learn that til after. I don't wanna give up handling, but will eventually need it to hook better. What to do...

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-14-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Proofread changes.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

As I have the 5 Link in the rr, 305's get awefully close to the top shock mount...seems like the only issue. R/
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Great pics. The scenery looks from a Harley brochure, & Jeff, truck looks great. That's screen saver material there. How much drywall do u haul at most, sheets or weight? What are your tire sizes now? You said u staggered.

Thanks!
I Lowered it 3/4 after i lost my drywall job. when i had the job i had shackles and would load up with 10-12 8foot sheets, tools and a few buckets of mud. It did fine, now without some helper bags it would be terrible

just a few months ago i switched to 255/55/18(29") up front and 285/50/18(29.22") out back, but i just sold the 18's yesterday

Now im back on stockers with a 275/60/17(30"). Im thinking of going lower now 4/6 or possibly 5/7
So even after getting everyones opinions, and going for the middle ground, i now regret my drop
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it looks friggin amazing!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sticking with 2/4 drop for now.

Quick Reply: Do you regret your drop?