Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Does your 2006 have the tire pressure display feature?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Actually it works off of rotation of the tires. No sensors on rims or valve stems.
It still works good though.

Jim
Nope, that ain't right either. I had an '04 Tahoe w/the monitoring system and had to purchase sensors for all 4 wheels when I bought the 20"s (which are Chevy wheels). The sensor is inside at the base of the valvestem. They're on my truck now but it doesn't pick up the signal.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by .T.
Nope, that ain't right either. I had an '04 Tahoe w/the monitoring system and had to purchase sensors for all 4 wheels when I bought the 20"s (which are Chevy wheels). The sensor is inside at the base of the valvestem. They're on my truck now but it doesn't pick up the signal.
Sorry but your wrong. The Impala's up to 04' do not use wheel sensors or valve stem sensors. IT DOES work off of the tire rotation. The lower the tire gets, the faster the hub spins which then triggers the Low Tire Pressure light. If you placed a smaller diameter tire on one corner of the car it will trigger the low tire pressure light. Even though the tire is not low. It doesn't measure the actual tires air pressure.
I should know, I've owned the car for over 4 yrs now. I also work part time at NTB. I've seen all different types of tire pressure sensor systems.
Majority of vehicles use the valve stem sensor now. Some use a sensor that is actually strapped to the middle of the inside part of the rim. That's not being used anymore though.
The GM SUV's use the valve stem sensor. If it came with it. If your PCM and cluster doesn't have the option, that should have been a sign it wouldn't work. Plus, there are sensors mounted by the hub or frame at each corner of the vehicle that read the sensors in the rims.
Do a little research before trying to correct someone.

Jim
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Those tire pressure displays suck. I had bought my ex-wife a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero and it was loaded out. Had one of those displays on it. It was designed to trigger the sensor, if it notices a 5 psi difference in any tire. Of course a 5 psi diff can happen just about anytime the air temperature changes drastically in good ole Houston, so the damn thing went off almost daily. The only way that I knew to reset it is to fill all tires up to the desired psi setting, and have them all matching until the light went off.

I would not own another vehicle with this option.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

The cars use the rotation sensors for the vehicles ABS system to determine if a tire is spinning faster that any other, if it is, that means the circumfrence of the tire is different, hence - one of the tires is low.

The SUV's use a system similar to the Corvette, the sensor is part of the valve stem, mounted on the inside.

Federal law mandated tire pressure sensors on SUV's by a certain year model (I forget), the mandate was passed shortly after the Ford Exploder issues, where the tires were underinflated, blowing out and causing the cartwheel show nationwide.

questions?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a rats *** about a dummy light.
I would like to have the actual PSI of each tire displayed on the dash.

SO, can I get the sensors and wiring from a 2006 tahoe from a junk yard and add it to what I've got?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Moddoo
I don't give a rats *** about a dummy light.
I would like to have the actual PSI of each tire displayed on the dash.

SO, can I get the sensors and wiring from a 2006 tahoe from a junk yard and add it to what I've got?
well with that kind of attitude.... the old stand by answer of:
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it

in all reality though:
it would probably involve the BCM and some creative programming at the dealership to get the system to work like factory. there are aftermarket setups that do the same thing, but it's still aftermarket and won't blend as well with the interior
Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL
I just wanted to fit in with the rest of the replies!

It's not very high on my list, just curious.
I will check into it further & let everyone know if it is easy or not.