Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dowel pins in transmission case?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dowel pins in transmission case?

I am in the middle of replacing the 4L60E transmission in my '99 Silverado. Upon removal of the trans from the truck, I see that the dowel pins are installed into the transmission case and not the engine block. Is that normal procedure now? I am used to having the dowel pins installed into the engine block.

Three or four months after I purchased the truck in August 2004, I had to have the transmission rebuilt (the one that I am removing). I had a warranty, so the dealership had a local Aamco do the rebuild. Would they have put the dowel pins in the transmission case? Heck, they didn't bother to reinstall one of the top three bolts either ( the one next to the top bolt on the passenger-side).

Either way is fine with me. Whichever one works the best. I was just surprised to see them done that way.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It doesn't matter I suppose if it's in the trans or the engine block, but you can just take a screwdriver and punch that dowel out of the trans and then put it in the engine block
Old 11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
It doesn't matter I suppose if it's in the trans or the engine block, but you can just take a screwdriver and punch that dowel out of the trans and then put it in the engine block
Thanks! That's what I figured. I bet the guy at Aamco did that
Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IIRC one of mine was in the block and the other was in the trans and mine is stock.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They belong in the engine block. I think what happens is the aluminum corrodes and holds on to them over a period of time. When you remove the trans they just pull out. Knock them out and wire wheel them if you can. Or use some sand paper to lightly sand/clean them up a bit. Then reinstall them in the engine.

The one bolt that is missing might be normal. Some of the LS1 engines have a dead hole there. Literally there is not a hole nor the threads. Take a look while you have the trans out to see if this is the case. I call that the one o'clock bolt hole.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The one bolt that is missing might be normal. Some of the LS1 engines have a dead hole there. Literally there is not a hole nor the threads. Take a look while you have the trans out to see if this is the case. I call that the one o'clock bolt hole.

Gotta meet the quota.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
They belong in the engine block. I think what happens is the aluminum corrodes and holds on to them over a period of time. When you remove the trans they just pull out. Knock them out and wire wheel them if you can. Or use some sand paper to lightly sand/clean them up a bit. Then reinstall them in the engine.

Sorry for the delay in thanking you Vince! You are absolutely right about the dead hole on the block. My truck has the 4.8L in it, so that would be the case for the 5.3L as well since they share the same block.

I did exactly as you suggested for the dowel pins too, and everything worked out fine. I just got the truck back on the road tonight. It's nice having second, fourth & reverse again! That not being able to back up crap sucked really bad...I really had to plan my route & parking scenario if I took the truck out.

Scott
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

No problem Scott I help when I have time! Without reverse, 2nd and 4th I'm guessing you had a stripped out sunshell. Good to hear your are back in action! Vince