Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Downshifting an automatic?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting an automatic?????

Hi, I have an 01 1500HD with the 6.0 / 4L80-E.

I am a landscape contractor and I normally haul up to 2 tonns in the bed. I know this is overloaded but ... but... meh it does the job.

My question is- Does downshifting an automatic to slow down the vehicle and save on the brake while hauling heavy payloads hard on the tranny? Will it lead to premature transmision wear? My auto teacher used to tell me absolutly not but my dad says it is hard on the tranny and a few other people have told me the same. I just hate replacing brakes.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard on the clutches in the tranny to slow that thing down, especially fully loaded. When you select a lower gear the tranny drags the engine RPM up, and all the time between when the revs start to increase to when they stop is time that the clutches are slipping. I used to downshift my 4L60E cause I like how the exhaust sounded, then it burnt the 2-4 band. Use the brakes IMO.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thatll kill a tranny dude. your riding those clutches. same way in a stick shift. you ride those gears it WILL lead a faliure someday.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use the brakes bro! cheaper and easier to replace IMO. Also Dont do headers with your future Turbo install, they dont hold the heat like the stock manifolds do and turbos like heat.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my truck its a v6 but still...
i will drop it down to sloww down or to get it in first at a redlight
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Also Dont do headers with your future Turbo install, they dont hold the heat like the stock manifolds do and turbos like heat.

Good to know. Thanks

I guess I will stop using the trans. I dont do it often so i don't think theres any damage done.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not use a 4L60-E to decellerate by downshifting, but the 4L80-E is designed for it. You have a 4L80-E. The overrun clutches in the 4L80-E are HUGE compare to those in the 60. The overrun clutches are only used for engine braking. Even a 4L80-E pulled apart with 250k miles on it show practically no wear on those clutches.
Also, the 4L80-E has a gear pump designed to provide higher sustained line pressures than the shitty vane pump in the 60-E. The robust hydraulics allow higher line pressures to be calibrated into the PCM at zero-throttle. In fact, the factory programming commands enough line pressure to hold everything under even severe engine braking in the 4L80-E. The engine would redline far before the trans slips in a downshift.

Have fun.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by James B.
I would not use a 4L60-E to decellerate by downshifting, but the 4L80-E is designed for it. You have a 4L80-E. The overrun clutches in the 4L80-E are HUGE compare to those in the 60. The overrun clutches are only used for engine braking. Even a 4L80-E pulled apart with 250k miles on it show practically no wear on those clutches.
Also, the 4L80-E has a gear pump designed to provide higher sustained line pressures than the shitty vane pump in the 60-E. The robust hydraulics allow higher line pressures to be calibrated into the PCM at zero-throttle. In fact, the factory programming commands enough line pressure to hold everything under even severe engine braking in the 4L80-E. The engine would redline far before the trans slips in a downshift.

Have fun.

So your saying i dont have to worry about anything when i downshift and that the 80-E is actually designed to be downshifted.. sounds ok becuase this is the heavyduty tranny they put in all the 2500's.

Anyone else want to agree to James B. just so i feel 100% safe.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF thats the case, then having a fully built 80e like mine should totaly be up to the challenge! The only thing my turck hauls is ***! LoL I plan on installing a Rachet shifter in my custom center console so i can command the trans to down shift for braking and to prepare for owning a ricer or two... LoL
Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would defiantly take JamesB's word on this, he is the man when It comes to 80's and beating the hell out of them

Quick Reply: Downshifting an automatic?????