Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Drawing the line: Torque Verter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drawing the line: Torque Verter

Ok the purpose of this thread is to try and get a general idea of going with a certian stall on a Torque converter:

What I usually see is that a 3000 stall verter for the daily driver wanting some power is the norm around here. This is based on the average bolt ons like headers, tune, maybe a cam, cold air, etc. Would you guys agree with this?

Take for example myself I have Diablo tune (i hate it), pretty much all the exhaust done, cold air. Would I a 3000 stall be good. Also I am going to throw in a TR 220, I would think that a 3000 is more than enough, but what about a 3200, is it to much for a daily driver?

I would appreciate it if any could post some explenations on when it would be best to use a certian stalls under certian conditions. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Ok the purpose of this thread is to try and get a general idea of going with a certian stall on a Torque converter:

What I usually see is that a 3000 stall verter for the daily driver wanting some power is the norm around here. This is based on the average bolt ons like headers, tune, maybe a cam, cold air, etc. Would you guys agree with this?

Take for example myself I have Diablo tune (i hate it), pretty much all the exhaust done, cold air. Would I a 3000 stall be good. Also I am going to throw in a TR 220, I would think that a 3000 is more than enough, but what about a 3200, is it to much for a daily driver?

I would appreciate it if any could post some explenations on when it would be best to use a certian stalls under certian conditions. Thanks.
I think the Yank TT3000 is one of the best mods you can do to a truck. I had one, and it's very daily driver friendly. It actually made my truck more fun to drive. It wasn't enough stall for the high rpm power delivery of my ATI so I went to an SS3800. The 3800 is badass when you're racing, but definately not daily driver friendly.

I'd say 3200 would still be daily driveable, but more stall than that would probably bug you in traffic.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive

I drive around town in 3rd gear till I get over 50 or so. With the 3200 I had if I started off easy you could barley tell that it had a stall.It would shift to 2nd then 3rd and lock up at 35mph. I had the trans programmed to do that, give it a little gas it unlocks and away you go. The more gas you give it the more it will stall. There's not much difference between a 3000 and a 3200. If the converter is loose it will stall higher. I had an art carr converter for a short time, it was supposed to be a 3200. When I put the truck in gear the idle didn't change and it wouldn't start to move till I gave it some gas. The truck would take off like a bat out of hell but it wouldn't lock up so I sent it back. I just put a 3600 vig in and it's fairly tight till I romp on it. Not sure it will be big enough for what I want to do. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't go too high for a stall. i think 3000 is the highest i would go for the street. any higher and you are going to need slicks. i roast the tires easily with a 3000 stall, but that is with AT tires. posi is a necessity when having a stall. don't go any higher or lower than a 3000
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that when I do go with one I am going to stick a 3000 stall. I mean who would want to be going that fast anyway. . I know that Yank and PI are the thee best around, I heard that PI is a little more accurate in their stalls and that their quality has been always great. I think either or would be good, but I am shooting at the PI.

Also what would you guys recommend next to these. I know that TCI makes them but are they good? What other ones would be next in line?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

i think if you took a poll, most people would recommend the yank.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
i think if you took a poll, most people would recommend the yank.
I'm sure you are right about that, most people on here would recommend eaton as well. I'm running pi and auburn.