Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

drive shaft is in heaven now

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft is in heaven now

was coming home tonight, pullin my trailer. noticed a vibration, thought maybe it was just the rough *** roads. then it got worse, before i could get pulled over to check my tires, BANG, seen my driveshaft fly out from under the driver's side of the truck. I don't think my u-joints were bad cause i just checked em bout a week ago. the front yoke is still in the transfer case but doesn't slide back and forth now. I imagine it might be bent, seeing how as the adapter between the tranny and transfer case is now broken

so heres my question, what should i do now? should i find a driveshaft out of a junk yard or get one built. any idea what this might cost me? stock driveshaft was aluminum by the way. anyone know where to find the adapter that i broke, tranny is 4l60e
thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

that is really weird that you have an aluminum driveshaft.

I also have a 2000 sierra ecsb, but with 2 piece steel striveshaft. Mine is 2wd though, maybe only the 4wd's got the aluminum.

From what I've read, a pretty good option is to get another stock driveshaft and have it balanced at a shop.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive got aluminum as well, I had mine lengthened when it was lifted, but I would say go to the junk yard and pick one up, but if you do have one made its anywhere between 350-450 depending on where you go and the quality of it. Id check your output bearing on your transfer case. I threw one out of nowhere on an older truck I had, and after the second time I threw it I started investigating because I knew it wasnt the U-joints.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

ill probly try the junkyards tomorrow see what i come up with,then call the driveshaft shop and see what they can do.

thats good to know about the bearing, ill make sure and check that

thanks