Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default driveshaft

would a driveshaft from a 2000 camaro fit my truck?? i want to change to an aluminum one, and found one cheap
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regency
would a driveshaft from a 2000 camaro fit my truck?? i want to change to an aluminum one, and found one cheap
I seriously doubt it.
I'm sure it won't work.
Someone will surely tell you for sure on this.

Jim
Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have access to a welder so i think i might could make it work. just depends on the yokes, if they are too big or what
Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

not trying to bash you or anything but I would think that cutting and welding a driveshaft would turn out harder than you think. Welding aluminum is hard enough, and unless your really experienced with welding aluminum I would not try it, and not to mention you would still have to get it balanced afterwards. if it is not balanced it will vibrate and damage everything it is conected to not to mention snap..... If you are an experienced aluminum welder and have all ready thought of what i have mentioned then nevermind.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

That driveshaft may not take the abuse a truck gets. I'm sure it's smaller in diameter than the one GM is using on some of the trucks with the one piece aluminum ones.
Why even do this anyways? Just curious. Your not going to break the steel driveshaft.
What is the benefit you are after by doing this?

Jim
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have some experience with aluminum, but i have a buddy that welds aluminum everyday, and i know a guy at a local machine shop that would probably balance it for me, since he went to school with my dad and used to hang out together. i am thinkin that since its aluminum, it weighs less, and since it weighs less thats less work for the motor/tranny. that would be less rotating weight, and less weight period. i think it would stand up to my truck since it will stand up to the high HP cars they have em in. and if it works correctly that would significantly help!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I doubt you will even be able to tell much of a difference. IMO

Jim
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess i could be a guinea pig, and test this for everyone. i thought that some of the Z71's had alum driveshafts???
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by regency
i have some experience with aluminum, but i have a buddy that welds aluminum everyday, and i know a guy at a local machine shop that would probably balance it for me, since he went to school with my dad and used to hang out together. i am thinkin that since its aluminum, it weighs less, and since it weighs less thats less work for the motor/tranny. that would be less rotating weight, and less weight period. i think it would stand up to my truck since it will stand up to the high HP cars they have em in. and if it works correctly that would significantly help!!!
Sorry I did not know you had experience and the connections. If you serious about it call a driveshaft/axle place and see if they would recommend it or if they would do it. If they say yes then I would say go for it.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean even if it doesnt work, atleast everyone will know that it cant be done. and im not really out of anything because i will still have the stocker. and if it does work, i think it would just be cool to have an aluminum one and needless to say it might help in weight savings a bit or maybe with gas milage, its bound to help something.

Quick Reply: driveshaft