Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Driveshaft loop

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Driveshaft loop

I was told last time to the track if I was to be allowed back, I would have to at least have to have a 'loop and helmet... I have the helmet and take it every time I go but normally the track doesnt say anything about it, so....

-but next question is, how are you guys running without them? just going through 'tech and saying, "hell, it only runs 15's" or do you actually have them?

I have been looking at some universal ones from Jegs and Summit, but I dont know if they will be long enough to reach between the frame rails... if you have one, please post up pics or just a good description of how its in there... I'm tired of worrying, "will they let me on the track this week??"
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been asked if I have a loop, dont know that one is required but for anybody with a power-adder (FI/N20) has to have a SnellM2000+ and a firejacket.
I rarely get asked to open the hood.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a universal lakewood driveshaft loop. I'll snap some pics of it tonight. Unfortunatly, the guys at Sac raceway know me well enough that they always check under my hood and for a helmet. I've never been told about a driveshaft loop but I got one when I swapped tranny's and had a new driveshaft built. I figured I would rather be safe than sorry. As far as the fire jacket is concerned, I haven't been out yet this year to see if they ask. I know it's a rule but if I can avoid having to order one then I'm going to try.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told that I need a loop on the front shaft and the back I am currently working on a set. I tell the tech guy it runs mid 13s and he just asks for a fire jacket and a helmet (as mentioned above). I ran a 12.022 and was immediately told to go back through tech where they told me about the loops. They even told me to consider a roll cage if I plan on being in the mid 11's. I typically go to a small track where it is kind of hard to hide a full sized truck running my times so they will be looking

I wouldn't mind seeing some loops as well I know there was a past post with pics in it,...remember seeing Parish's.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The firejacket is only like $75 delivered from Summit. Everyone seems to buy the same jacket, it's funny when it's a little chillyto see a hundred guys wearing the same jacket.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I just dont want to order it, and try to fit it in and not be able to reach far enough...
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
11 Second Truck Club

ben did they tell you this when you ran it with the slicks?
nhra requires a ds loop on 13.99 or faster vehicles w/ slicks.
also 13.99 or faster requires a helmet.

they never mess with me b/c i run et streets.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get yourself a piece of steel 3/4" X 2" (boxed) and weld or bolt it on frame rail to frame rail. There is your "platform" to attached a loop. I turned my 1 piece shaft into a 2 piece so this "piece of steel" is my support for the carrier at the moment. I have a loop welded around the carrier (looks good at a glance, but probably wouldn't work very well as far as application goes). I am getting ready to ditch my 2 piece if the knocking under my truck is a U-joint and nothing serious as in trans or cough cough motor and then I'll use the bar across frame rails to attach a loop.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's what I did for mine. I still have to make one for the front, though.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
ben did they tell you this when you ran it with the slicks?
nhra requires a ds loop on 13.99 or faster vehicles w/ slicks.
also 13.99 or faster requires a helmet.

they never mess with me b/c i run et streets.

I get dirty looks every time they see the bottle... even on street tires. I guess I'll just get one to sut them up... my truck's slow, it wont be throwing a ds any time soon

Quick Reply: Driveshaft loop