Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

are u a sb or rb, like 6.5 or 5.5 cuz my dads 2500hd has a once peice on his CC 6.5' bed.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 5.5 foot bed i think its 5' 8" to be exact. Let me know the length on that sucker if you can.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks Dub. I mean really sucks. That just don't make any sense. The tranny is almost 2" longer than the stocker.... the 80E yoke looks to be about 2" shorter..... My math is not the greatest, but that combo should work.
I mean, did your wheel base grow on you? Did someone swap your DS without you knowing?? Hell, I just dont understand. I'd be pretty frustrated myself.
I think you should do a little more research on different 80E yokes before having a different DS hacked.
Have you ask Chuck or Vince at FLT about this? They might have an answer.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not talked to them yet. The problem with adding another yoke is that it will only add length to the end that goes in the tranny. The problem right now is that the yoke is holding the u joint way farther out of the tranny than it should be. It should be right up agains the tailshaft almost but mine is nearly three inches shy of that. The only way to move it back up is to add to the driveshaft.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I have not talked to them yet. The problem with adding another yoke is that it will only add length to the end that goes in the tranny. The problem right now is that the yoke is holding the u joint way farther out of the tranny than it should be. It should be right up agains the tailshaft almost but mine is nearly three inches shy of that. The only way to move it back up is to add to the driveshaft.
Who says the u-joints have to be right up against the tranny?? I don't really see why that would need to be, but then again, I'm no tranny or u-joint expert either..

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

They say that the farther they stick out the more vibration you will get. Even if you cant feel it, it will tear up the tailshaft in no time. Every good drivetrain shop i have talked to said there should be no more than one inch of shaft haning out then you ahve the u joint.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

They say that the farther they stick out the more vibration you will get. Even if you cant feel it, it will tear up the tailshaft in no time. Every good drivetrain shop i have talked to said there should be no more than one inch of shaft haning out then you ahve the u joint.
That could be because most that would stick out that far probably are not far enough into the tranny. If you had a longer yoke that went into the tranny as far as it needed to, then I bet it would be fine. IMO.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Here are some pics of the parts.

Stock(Top)
80e Bottom

How far the new yoke goes in when the driveshaft is connected.

How far it should go in with the correct driveshaft length.

Look closer my friend. The stock yoke has that spacer that makes it look like it's in much further. Imagine the spacer gone, then tell me what you think.
Just an observation.

jim
Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

My HD has a 2 piece shaft, but this is how much yoke is in my stock 80e
Old 12-12-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is the exact picture I was looking for. Thank you so much. Now i know mine is not right.

Quick Reply: Driveshafts