Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
That is the exact picture I was looking for. Thank you so much. Now i know mine is not right.
It would be better if that was a pick of a 80E swap in the same truck as you, or at least a pick of one that's a 1-piece shaft.

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
My HD has a 2 piece shaft, but this is how much yoke is in my stock 80e
Why is it leaking tranny fluid?
That's way too close. You do know you can easily adjust that. The carrier bearing will slide back or forward. Though keep in mind you need to keep the spacing at the final driveshaft sections adequate as well.
2-piece shafts are a modders friend!!!! Sorry Dub..... I had to say it.

Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree that it might be in a little far but id take that over the problem i have righ tnow.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

You can't compare your situation with a 2 piece driveshaft. The first driveshaft, the one that goes into the tranny, is relatively fixed. It doesn't move in and out of the transmission at all, so it can be a lot closer. You're driveshaft, being a 1 piece will move in and out of the transmission everytime the suspension moves. I forget what the rule of thumb is for the amount of play/distance you should have, but it sure as hell isn't as small as BigCountryx's pic.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly what the 72" driveshaft on my Avalanche looked like stock and I had no problems. It changed a little bit when it was lowered, but not by much.
Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
Here are some pics of the parts.
How far the new yoke goes in when the driveshaft is connected.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your avalanche had a 72 inch driveshaft? Im trying to figure out how mine is so much longer than anything else on the road. It just makes no sense to me that mine is 81 inches right now and needs another 1 to 1.5 inches added to it. I might just have speed eng make me the new yoke a little longer so it make better contact and extends further in the transmission.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think i would worry too much about how far the ujoint is away, that looks similar to my camaro after the 9in install. i would just worry if you have enough into the tailshaft, i believe there was a minimum amount like 2inchs or something i would have to search for it.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and either way, i would make sure to get a driveshaft safety loop asap if you dont already have one.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

The problem also seems to be it leaking fluid at the yoke.
Does anyone know how much yoke needs to be inside the tranny at minimum?
I'm sure there is a specific amount that the splines need to be in contact with each other.
Any update on this Dub? Remember, don't get a yoke that is too long to when the driveshaft goes inline with the tranny that it binds the yoke into the tranny. This would of course only occur when you hit bumps that makes your suspension compress or haul a load.
Right now the DS should have a negative slope. The closer it gets to 0 slope, the more the tranny yoke goes into the tranny.

Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, here is my update. Im going to put the stock tranny back in, pull the headers, blower, wheels, tires, and stereo and sell it all, take the truck to GM tell them to fix it then trade it in on a new body style.

Quick Reply: Driveshafts