Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dropped My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said, a lot of people like Doetsch Tech shocks
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMmade03, I think If you need a degree or two of adjustment, I'd suggest the alignment kit. When I called DJM and talked to their tech guy, he said the DJM alignment cams don't give more adustment, they just lock the settings. The belltech kit is around 30 bucks locally, and the DJM arms are around 200 bucks. For fixing the lean, you can go lower by trimming the high side, or get the spacer for the lower side. Both the belltech kit and the upper arms will correct the camber, but the DJM tech said they werent needed with the 4" arms, only needed for the 5" or 6" drops. I didn't get to call about the Belltech part number. I'll try to get it tomoorrow.

Last edited by chevytruckguy; 07-10-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by laynlow77
looks good! i know alot of people are having problems with camber with the DJM;s
I had problems with my DJM 4" lower arms too. If you look at the front wheels of my truck when its rolling, every time you hit a bump, the top of the tire would camber in a lot. The tire looked like it was leaning in instead of going up and down. After I did the belltech alignment kit, it helped a lot, but didn't eliminate the problem completely. I'm not sure if the DJM upper arms will fix it either. I hate to suggest buying an expensive part when a cheaper alternative is available. I've even heard from some people that the upper arm pushes the top of the wheel out too far in some cases, so you get positive camber. I'd say to try the belltech alignment kit, and then if it doesnt do the job, get the arms. I'll try to find out more tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help chevytruckguy its appreciated... for the camber i will most likely give an alignment kit a try.. ive found three kits so far (in price order low-high) DJM, Belltech and Eibach.. as for shocks i found something that ive never heard about. there adjustable shocks by belltech that can lower or raise your truck 1"-2" and they're based off there "street performance" design, which i have no idea if those are also soft riding shocks, but this is what the site says about them...

Belltech’s new lowering and lifting shocks provide you with the most efficient and flexible way to lower or raise the front end of your Chevrolet Fullsize Truck.
• customize and increase performance with just one purchase
• retain the use of stock springs
• designed for stock ride height replacement, lowering or lifting in 1” increments, up to 2”
• new “Street Performance” dampening technology

if those shocks are stiff ill kill two birds with one stone and solve my shock problem and my chevy lean. anybody heard of these shocks or the "street performance" shocks and how they ride? stiff is what im looking for
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Those shocks might be for the 07 and newer trucks and suv's. I'm guessing your truck still has the shock inside the coil. When I call tomorrow for that kit number, I'll ask about that shock. If you end up going with the alignment kit, esp. the belltech, you might want to fix your lean at the same time. When I pulled the pass. side upper arm, the bolt wouldn't come out because the coil was in the way (because I trimmed that coil). The drivers side came out easy. BTW how much lean do you have? I had about 7/8", and I ended up trimming 1/2 a coil, then 1/3 a coil. It took two tries, but now my truck measures 15" between fender and hub center at all 4 corners (within 1/8").
Old 07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

just ditch the lcas all together IMO sell em and do it right.

get a mcgaughys kit
Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

im sitting about an inch lower on driverside havent done any exact measurements but its about an inch id say
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got off the phone with belltech and they don't offer an alignment kit for the 99-06 trucks anymore. You might be able to look for part 4910 at summit or jegs and see if it crosses over to your truck. The 07 and newer trucks use a part 4955, offset bushings, to fix any alignment problems. I don't know why belltech doesnt show the 4910, but thats the kit I used. Sorry I couldn't get any better news for you.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Launching!

hmm that sucks, however i still have the the DJM alignment kit.. im not sure if its anybetter or worse then the belltech one but hopefully it will help with my camber issues. right now i think my biggest issue is finding some shocks to replace my current ones. so far i have a much better understanding of what i need to get done from here which is coil/spring spacer to fix my chevy lean and an alignment kit for the camber. im going to call belltech myself and see if they have a set of shocks that will work for me. thanks for all the help guys!! more suggestions, input and oppinions are always welcome
Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMade03
im fully aware that drving habbits have to change how ever my problem is im hitting things even when im being cautious ex. the other day i come to a complete stop and see a little bump in the road ahead about middle of intersection, i go over almost at an idle and front end just kissed the pavement with a nice thump and scrape.. my shocks are just WAY to soft. what shocks should i go with that will be able to handdle a 4/6 and never let me hit ground?
so its not your tires that are bottoming out instead of the frame? i drive at 5/7-8ish all day and never have a problem around driveways and dips on the freeway. it only looks like you have about 2" before your tire hits inside the fenderwell.

Quick Reply: Dropped My Truck