Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dropping tranny pan, how much fluid needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dropping tranny pan, how much fluid needed?

I am about to drop my tranny pan and install a drain. How much fluid do I need to fill it back up?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Resident Retard

Oh and is the gasket resuable, thanks again.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gasket is reusuable, and i believe that just dropping the pan requires about 7 quarts to refill
Old 01-05-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

says 5qts but mine does 4.5.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Resident Retard

Thanks for the replies, I just did not want to get stuck with not enough.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so sure if I'd re-use the trans pan gasket...last time I serviced mine, I bought the filter/gasket kit from the dealer. When I removed the pan, the gasket was compressed pretty flat. Since you have the pan off already, I'd spring for the few bucks and throw a new gasket on there.

How many miles are on the truck? If you've got over 24K and you drive hard, might not be a bad idea to just get the trans service kit w/ filter and gasket. Only gasket I'd re-use is the seal that the filter pops into, if it doesn't get torn upon the filter removal...that seal is a bit of a hump to remove.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Not so sure if I'd re-use the trans pan gasket...last time I serviced mine, I bought the filter/gasket kit from the dealer. When I removed the pan, the gasket was compressed pretty flat. Since you have the pan off already, I'd spring for the few bucks and throw a new gasket on there.

How many miles are on the truck? If you've got over 24K and you drive hard, might not be a bad idea to just get the trans service kit w/ filter and gasket. Only gasket I'd re-use is the seal that the filter pops into, if it doesn't get torn upon the filter removal...that seal is a bit of a hump to remove.
The truck has 30k on it now. I thought that I did not need to replace the filter until ~50k. I have no problem buying a filter and gasket, but it is a good idea to replace the filter or should I wait to replace the filter and just swap out the fluid?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would personally change out the filter every 15k or so. The filter comes with a cheap cork gasket, if your pan still has the stock gasket then reuse it. They are meant to be reused and the cork gaskets suck big time and aren't reusable.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Resident Retard

Thanks for the info, looks like I will be changing out the filter.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Werd, I'd definitely change the filter since they're a gauze(sp?) type as opposed to a metal mesh (like the imports use...a Toyota filter can actually be washed and re-used...not so for the GM ones ) FWIW, when I bought my filter and gasket kit, it came with the same style gasket that the truck came with from the factory, since I bought it from the dealer. I'm sure it was probably twice the price as aftermarket, but I'm willing to pay that to help insure the longevity of my trans and not have to mess with annoying leaks. As adam1803 mentioned, most of the aftermarket kits that I've seen/used come with a cork gasket that compresses and tears easily, and can be easily over-torqued.

*EDIT*...when you go to the dealer/parts store, the first question they're gonna ask you is if you have the deep or shallow pan, as the filter is different. If your trans pan is flat, it's the shallow one, if there's a hump where it goes shallow by the rear of the pan, it's the deep one.

If the filter comes out of the rubber o-ring without tearing or harming the o-ring, I'd re-use it (the o-ring)...it can be a PITA to replace. I had to use a slide hammer with a hook to get mine out. It was giving me such a headache that I called my buddy at the local Chevy dealer and asked him what tricks they have to replacing it, and he said that if it isn't damaged, they leave it alone. Unfortunately I found this out after I already destroyed mine trying to remove it

Quick Reply: Dropping tranny pan, how much fluid needed?