Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dry Rot !

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
It has to do with the age and the type of tire shine that is applied to the tires. When tires tend to sit on concrete (which happens always) it causes them to dry rot.
Just think about this, when you store a car, boat trailer, or any trailer on concrete, it is recommended to jack the tires off the ground and block the axles so the tires are not touching the concrete or floor. The condensation that is created under the tires promotes the rubber compound to break down.
I see this a lot since I work at a repair facility on the weekends. It really doen't hurt to drive on them. It doesn't mean the tire is finished. Just the outer ply layer of the tire has surface cracks. They will still be ok.
Don't give up on the Michelins just yet. They are still one of the highest quality tires on the market. The Goodyears come in second.
I like the new Yokohama Goelander HT/S directional performance truck tires.
I can't give a review on them just yet, as they are little too new in the market. The people that do own them seem to like them.
I've read here on this site that they last a decent amount of time and hook very well.
How much tread is left on your tires anyways?

Jim
Quite a bit left. That does make since, but it only sits still four days out of the week. I guess Im worried about nothing then

Originally Posted by Tan327
If you actually drive that truck every now and then you might not have this problem!
yea yea yea