Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dyno Testing Video From Flt

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good question that was asked by a member here. Thought I could add it to the thread to give you guy's a better understanding of the video above. Vince

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
Whats the constant for the test? Do you keep the same input level to the trans (load) and vary the pressure, looking for a weak spot? What is the load on the 125 psi pull? That is a vey nice piece of equipment. Makes my mouth water!

Mec
Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
There is a load devise that is attached to the output shaft. With this we can simulate different driving conditions. It basically has a huge rotor with a magnetic devise that increases or decreases the load depending on where we have it set. For the input depending on how many rpms you decide to shift it at would be the input load. The audio in the video does not really do justice for what I can hear with this machine. It is much quieter than other machines that I have operated. When the trans shift you can hear the parts in the unit doing there thing. This allows us to keep the quality control very high. Also In past years I have operated gas dynos. They are very noisy and you really can not here the internals of the transmission like the electric Dyno that FLT owns. Some days I love this machine and others I would like to take sledge hammer to it when chasing a noise. But the idea for it is to test and sometimes we do go after an issue until it meets our standards. We are also looking at the pressures with this machine. Making sure at different duty cycles (pressure swings) the pressure is correct for the application and also that the pressure maintains it's psi during the shifts correctly. With that being said we are also looking at cooler flow and cooler pressure. These pressures are very important for the life of the transmission. With the use of the input and output gauges we can monitor if the transmission has slippage. Depending on the stall of the converter we will see different numbers. Along with that we can check for the lockup function of the TCC. This is usually tested in 3rd gear when the transmissions internals in theory are turning 1 to 1. With the lock up applied the output reading should be the same as the input and in most cases the output is a couple rpms higher. Hope that this has answered your question or has given you a better understanding of what we do. Vince
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool vince!

hope to be paying you guys a visit here come next spring.. i've got a few goodies waiting for me to get off my rear to be installed that will require a built trans.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Good to hear. You let us know when you are ready. Vince
Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Figured I would bump this up for those of you that might have missed it. Vince