Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

E-Brake Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake Questions?

Been thinking about just doing away with my e-brakes when I do a rear pad replacement.
Is this something that would cause a problem other than the obvious don't have e-brake issues?
The thing is I rarely have used them and the pads are worn as hell so they must be rubbing while I'm driving.
I'm thinking eventually it will royally screw up my rotors lock up or worse.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

You won't be able to get an inspection, unless you know someone.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cbrich
You won't be able to get an inspection, unless you know someone.
An inspection for what?
I don't have emmisions testing in my area if thats what you mean.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Nope not emission, I don't Wisconsin law on state inspection, but Texas requires all vehicles to pass a state inspection every year. This inspection covers headlights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, wipers, exhaust, brakes, emissions, and other parts of the vehicle in question, Texas does this to make sure the vehicle is safe to drive on the road. The parking brake is tested to see if the brake will hold the vehicle in place without moving, this simulates the vehicle being park on a hill.

So if Wisconsin does not have anything like what I explained then you will be safe to remove your parking brake, but call the Department of Public Safety and ask them.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cbrich
Nope not emission, I don't Wisconsin law on state inspection, but Texas requires all vehicles to pass a state inspection every year. This inspection covers headlights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, wipers, exhaust, brakes, emissions, and other parts of the vehicle in question, Texas does this to make sure the vehicle is safe to drive on the road. The parking brake is tested to see if the brake will hold the vehicle in place without moving, this simulates the vehicle being park on a hill.

So if Wisconsin does not have anything like what I explained then you will be safe to remove your parking brake, but call the Department of Public Safety and ask them.
Looks like we are in the clear here in Wisconsin. I have never had a state madated vehicle safety inspection on any vehicle I've ever owned. The cops will some times write you up for a head or tailight violation and then you have to have it checked by them to dismiss the violation but other than that..never.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm still wondering if there is anything on the vehicle like a sensor that may go on, I really doubt it but who knows with all the electronic stuff they have in these things.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is an indicator light that tells when the brakes are on isnt there? I have never used my parking brake and dont plan on doing it because with rusty cables something will either brake or stick shut. My cables are majorly in the way of my rear sway bar, they are gona start to wear paint off the parts if I dont zip tie them under control.