Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Eaton Posi Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Question Eaton Posi Rebuild?

Any of you guy broke you Eaton Posi's and had to rebuild it? I just got my new motor in early sat morning. Second time I hit it, on the street, I heard a pop in the rear and has been popping in turns ever since. Took the cover off tonight and found two teeth broken off the side gears. I have found the part number for the gear rebuild kit off Eaton's site but have only found it at Summit. It is 199 and est availibility is 2/8/06. Even if it was readly available, that seems a little steap to me. Anyone know a good place to get the rebuild kits for a good price? It never gave me any problems till now but should I go ahead and replace teh clutches while I have it apart?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow, I am glad to see that everyone else's Eaton Posi's are holding up wonderfully!

ffr... I ordered a gear service kit from Randy's Ring and Pinion for $195. Nowhere local had it since it is an aftermarket Eaton part and Randy's had the best price on it compared to several online drivetrain distributors that I called.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you found a good price on the rebuild kit. wish it hadn't broke. you could put that money into some mo nitrous stuff!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Kenny, next time you need parts for it call Jackson Powertrain, ive got the number. They rebuilt my eaton with upgraded springs for $200
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Did they put new gears, springs and clutches in it for 200?? The clutches and springs are fairly cheap (<$150). It's the gears that are pricy and thats what I needed.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigKID
Did they put new gears, springs and clutches in it for 200?? The clutches and springs are fairly cheap (<$150). It's the gears that are pricy and thats what I needed.
The side gears you refer to are called spider gears. I've had the same problem w/ an Auburn posi. The 1st unit lasted for 2 1/2 years and many passes on slicks and nitrous. The 2nd one only lasted for a couple of weeks and it let go while launching at the track.I think I've reached a point where I'm making too much power for the Auburn or the Eaton. They both have the same spider gears.
The nice thing about Auburn is the exchange program. They sent me a brand new unit for $125 and the old 1 and they're going to send me another new 1 for the 1 I just broke. It's for sale if you know anybody that needs 1.
Hope you have better luck than I did. I went w/ a Detroit Truetrack this time and we'll see how that works out come spring time.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know what you need, is it a factory part or part of the Eaton? I will check and see what price I can get it for
Old 12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I only toasted the clutches and springs
Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

The gears are Eaton specific and they should be on my porch when get home today. I wish the GM gears would work cause I found them for $89.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Grey Silver
The side gears you refer to are called spider gears. I've had the same problem w/ an Auburn posi. The 1st unit lasted for 2 1/2 years and many passes on slicks and nitrous. The 2nd one only lasted for a couple of weeks and it let go while launching at the track.I think I've reached a point where I'm making too much power for the Auburn or the Eaton. They both have the same spider gears.
The nice thing about Auburn is the exchange program. They sent me a brand new unit for $125 and the old 1 and they're going to send me another new 1 for the 1 I just broke. It's for sale if you know anybody that needs 1.
Hope you have better luck than I did. I went w/ a Detroit Truetrack this time and we'll see how that works out come spring time.
Yes, all the gears inside the differential are refered to as the spider gears but they can be broken down into individual componets which are the side and pinion gears.
I am hoping I am not in the same boat as you but I guess we will see. Let me know how that truetrack works out for you as I was looking into those as a replacement if the Eaton breaks again. Did you get the one with two or three pinion gears?

Quick Reply: Eaton Posi Rebuild?