Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

EATON rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EATON rear diff

well here goes.....anybody had problems out of at eaton rear diff staying together and what should i up grade to??? ....... first one i tore up my truck was complety stock except for cold air... programer... and flowmaster..... 2004 z71 4x4... one good rollin burnout heard loud poppin noise and that was all she wrote took it apart and it was in so many peices could't realy tell what broke several clutchs were broke and spider gears were completly destroyed ha put a brand new eaton in lasted awhile...... motor swap lq9 nice cam performa built 4l60 3200 vig stall few more goodies the new one made it threw alot several hard launches lots of good tire smokin burnouts.................pulled up a the gas pump on night got gas went to pull off head a pop and the truck came to a stop throwin me forward so i got mad gave it some gas it popped lose and i made it home took inpection plate off and not sure wat you call it but there are two rods that have the little spring and lockin thing i guess on of them broke i took it out and been driven it since aint come apart yet but i realy need to preplace it and jus wanna here some thoughts
Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive heard nothing but good things from eaton, ive had 2 in 2 different trucks that ive had and both performed falwlessly. maybe the person who installed it missed a step? i know plenty of 12 second trucks on here running eatons and having no problems
Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Eaton? The locker that comes stock on many trucks is a giant POS....their other products seem to have good reviews though.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no problems here, Eaton LSD

Last edited by shakesvho; 10-15-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the G80 to me.......... the LSD is good, never had a problem.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dry_kill
ive heard nothing but good things from eaton, ive had 2 in 2 different trucks that ive had and both performed falwlessly. maybe the person who installed it missed a step? i know plenty of 12 second trucks on here running eatons and having no problems
yea im preaty sure you cant put the diff together wrong we it comes pre-assembled........... its the factory stye eaton not sure wat you call it but truck came stock with it nothin has ever tore up on the ring and pinion jus inside the diff...backlash has always checked fine.... last time i took it apart after maybe three months after new install the fluid looked like matalic paint from all the clutch fibers and the clutchs look like they are almost gone
Old 10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trever1t
Which Eaton? The locker that comes stock on many trucks is a giant POS....their other products seem to have good reviews though.

yea it is the stock style unit second one i been through.... i had a buddy in town went through three in a stock truck with nothin but a lift and 36" tires no motor work or anything he finally went to a detriot
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the G80 is crappy.... some last longer than others but eventually fail.... u need to get the EATON LSD dont buy the crappy G80 again or go with a DETROIT TRUTRAC
Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JONES2004z
yea it is the stock style unit second one i been through.... i had a buddy in town went through three in a stock truck with nothin but a lift and 36" tires no motor work or anything he finally went to a detriot
Those big tires are putting alot of stress on the unit.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have had nothing but spectacular results after switching over to the Auburn Locker from the Eaton LSD. I broke 2 Eatons in my day, and not with big tires but a few massive burnouts and a couple of doughnuts here and there....they go Boom!

The Auburn unit has a better set up where as there are not that many moving parts, so not much to f*ck up. It uses a planetary type setup like a Zexel.

Try one out....I had much better results.

Quick Reply: EATON rear diff