Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Edlebrock or Belltech Street Performance Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edlebrock or Belltech Street Performance Shocks

I know this has been covered a bunch in the past but I thought I might see if there were any new opinions about the best drop shocks?
I have an '03 RCSS Silverado with a 3/4 drop and the Edlebrock shocks that came on it (they were on it when I bought it) are now shot after 70K miles.

I don't mind a firm ride, but I don't like a harsh hit (like a cheap or blown-out shock) over bumps and would like the truck to handle a little better. I've read good things about both shocks. After some searching this is what I've gathered:

Belltech Street Performance
Good
-Affordable
-Nice firm ride
Bad
-Some haven't lasted that long

Edlebrock
Good
-Great ride, firm yet supple
Bad
-Some say the special valves sometimes get confused over rolling bumps and are super soft, I.E slow speed compression doesn't firm the shocks up, but quick stuff will.

What is everyone's opinion on the two? Even though the Edlebrock's are more expensive than the Belltechs, if they're worth it I'll buy them.

Here's a pic of the truck for views:
Name:  -3-2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  69.2 KB

Last edited by loloone; 03-06-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Edelbrock shocks and can't stand the slow speed compression and rebound damping settings. They are waaaaaaaaay too lazy to be considered "high performance." The truck feels like its wallowing in such situations. Yes, the high speed circuits work well on these shocks, but the inertia sensing valve or whatever they call it is the downfall of these shocks.

I have about 30k miles on mine and am looking to change...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the edelbrocks in the front and hate them. way too soft.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

hate my edlebrocks as well
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the belltech's on a 2/4 drop. Still a rough ride, but better than it was with the nitro drops for SURE!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Thanks all, I certainly don't want a wallowing whale! Looks like I'll go with the Street Performances!
charcoal03silvy, When you say rough, is it rough like a car with coilovers (like a sports car) or just a bit firmer than stock? Either way I'll probably get the Belltechs unless some knows of something better.

Thanks all
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

belltehc streets for the win. love this shock. hate to get rid of them but i want adjustables in the back.

mine are for sale btw for a 4 inch drop in rear
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I only ran the Belltech Street in the rear. Still stock up front. They're OK, altho Corey (BlackGMC) hated his, They didn't last for **** for him. I've had mine on only 2 or 3 winters, but I may've ran em 1 full yr during that time. I always switch to my QA1s after weather turns nice & switch em before it turns bad (read that as I don't want road salt makin my aluminum bodied shocks all nasty).

The Belltechs are OK, & I'd thought of goin to some Edelbrocks when they're gone, til I read some of these replies. In fact, I hit a hard bump today & thought, wow, these might be hit.

For not driving them over the full 3 yrs. or whatever I had them, I think they could be ( or should be) to able to last longer.

Yes, the QA1s are not cheap, but they're way better than either of these 2. If Bilstein would make a 2/4 drop shock like they do on the '88-98, I woulda tried them or if Koni would've ever came up w/. a drop shock. QA1's & maybe Rancho 9000's are the best ones I see out, but IDK if Rancho 9000 was a drop shock, I know I called on em tho. I liked that they were adjustable. They're just aren't many good brands if you're dropped. If Bilstein was an option, I mighta never gotten to see how nice these I have perform. Shock manf. never really embraced the 99-up trucks like they did on dropped '88-98 trucks. I'm happy w/. the QA1s, even if it costs more coin. And yes, if I lived where there was no winter, & therefore no salt, I'd run these QA1s year round. Hands down.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I only ran the Belltech Street in the rear. Still stock up front. They're OK, altho Corey (BlackGMC) hated his, They didn't last for **** for him. I've had mine on only 2 or 3 winters, but I may've ran em 1 full yr during that time. I always switch to my QA1s after weather turns nice & switch em before it turns bad (read that as I don't want road salt makin my aluminum bodied shocks all nasty).

The Belltechs are OK, & I'd thought of goin to some Edelbrocks when they're gone, til I read some of these replies. In fact, I hit a hard bump today & thought, wow, these might be hit.

For not driving them over the full 3 yrs. or whatever I had them, I think they could be ( or should be) to able to last longer.

Yes, the QA1s are not cheap, but they're way better than either of these 2. If Bilstein would make a 2/4 drop shock like they do on the '88-98, I woulda tried them or if Koni would've ever came up w/. a drop shock. QA1's & maybe Rancho 9000's are the best ones I see out, but IDK if Rancho 9000 was a drop shock, I know I called on em tho. I liked that they were adjustable. They're just aren't many good brands if you're dropped. If Bilstein was an option, I mighta never gotten to see how nice these I have perform. Shock manf. never really embraced the 99-up trucks like they did on dropped '88-98 trucks. I'm happy w/. the QA1s, even if it costs more coin. And yes, if I lived where there was no winter, & therefore no salt, I'd run these QA1s year round. Hands down.
Would you mind sharing what part number your QA1s are? I can't seem to find them on the website. Do they work OK with a mild drop? I never thought about looking into these for my DD, but I know many drag racers love QA1s.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

They don't just pop out on their site, u have to take measurements, which is exactly what I did. These are for a 4" drop out back. Since you're in S.F., u don't have any road salt like our winters, just what's in the air. Maybe I won't give u part # now.

Mine are double adjustable, meaning independent rebound & compression. 2 sep. *****, it's takes longer to get on ground than adjust if ya wanna toy w/. settings, as it's only twist a few *****. No tools or spanners.

Mine are DTC-1539 P. If ya don't want dbl. adj., just drop the D in p/n. They're a few bucks less, but it's your choice. Either way, if u decide what brand u go w/., I always like to see what shocks people have success w/. so please post up your choice. If u decide on QA1, I think you'll be pleased. The dbl. adj. have more settings than you'll probably ever use.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-07-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Edlebrock or Belltech Street Performance Shocks