Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

EL60E Trouble and how bad are they? 1997 Yukon, anyone know what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EL60E Trouble and how bad are they? 1997 Yukon, anyone know what to check?

I posted my headace before, didnt get much help. I have a 1997 yukon, I was on a patch of Ice, I gave it gas to get moving, it slid a bit and I hit the break and when I went to gas it again it wouldnt move, I have reverse fine but no forward, some say it can be electrical others say it sounds like I broke the sprag. Also, if it was electrical and it set a fault code and I took the battery out, would it leave the fault code in the computer? Will it reset if it is electrical? I noticed when I went to look for another trans, theres a lot to look for with a yukon because of the options that year came with. I dont want to get a junk one and have trouble putting it in. I did notice when I looked under there that theirs a leak and the fluid was about a quart low so I filled it but it still wont move. I have learned that you can tell a el60e from a el80e by the bolts on the pan, (16 is a el60e and 17 is a el80e) just thought I would pass that on. but removable bell housing cover or not, how many prongs is in the pig tale, is the one your getting for a 4x4 or not, does it have safe nutral or not, does it have rod or cable kick down. dam, how can you know if you will have trouble putting the right one in before you by or before you start a project like this. I was told if you have some mcanical skills its not that hard to put in, after what I read about rebuilding it scares me to even try, (not that I dont think I can, its just that all the reading I have done isnt clear on this) where could I get a book on rebuilding, I might want to try, I love fixing cars and would love to give it a shot but cant seem to get stright answers to nothing or how to go about it. Anyone who is willing to help me can call me at 508-858-9003 or 443-629-2128 any help would be apreciated. Jonathan