Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

enough is enough, lets talk poor man suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enough is enough, lets talk poor man suspension upgrades

ok, we know we can do a 4 link. we know about caltraks. we know about spring clamps, but lets talk what works and what it works for.

spring clamps work for wheel hop. a real cheap option. i have them on my truck...

caltraks help for wheel hop right? what else? any other benefit besides weight to warrant the nearly 400 dollar price tag? What if you don't get wheel hop, what will they do for you?

4 link, i aint rich, so lets just say, what else can we do besides this option! Or is this the only option we have? and how do you tow/haul anything in the bed with this option. whats the minimal price to pay for such option.

lets hear it, what is everyone doing to keep from spinning the 10.5 to 11.5 et streets and wobbling/swaying/whatever you can think of... down the track.

4x4 is excluded as they have extra help that 2wd don't.

please edumacate me on this. i know there are tons of people wanting to know as well.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:24 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Talking

Yeah,
Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Vanilla Gorilla has his own version made of clatracs on his truck, and he was telling me that they really help in the traction area. He says that they have been hooking much better since installing them.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Truck addict

yea, i remember someone made their own version, i forgot it was him. I want him to elaborate as to how much his is diff from caltracs....if any.

i seriously think we need to figure out a suspension game plan for our trucks. we have people wasteing potential energy at the line.

oh yea, another to add to our discussion, QA1 shocks. i know they work well in fbod apps. what about trucks. who has'em, what are they doing for ya.

thanks destrucktive
Old 07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

I just bought some cal tracs. I will let you know if I feel a difference when I install them.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caltracs or slide-a-links help with wheel hop by limiting housing rotation and they also move the instant center more forward in the truck which helps with weight transfer. Slappers work well and you can easily make them yourself with just some steel plate and square tube. You just have to make them contact the spring eye or just behind it. They also greatly reduce spring wrap, housing rotation, and move the instant center. I would say that the cal tracs or slide-a-links are the best thing going, personally I prefer the slide-a-links. I would say that a cheap set-up that would work good would be some home made slappers and spring clamps. But by the time you figure the time and labor to make home made slappers jsut spend the money on the good stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshawk23
yea, i remember someone made their own version, i forgot it was him. I want him to elaborate as to how much his is diff from caltracs....if any.

i seriously think we need to figure out a suspension game plan for our trucks. we have people wasteing potential energy at the line.

oh yea, another to add to our discussion, QA1 shocks. i know they work well in fbod apps. what about trucks. who has'em, what are they doing for ya.

thanks destrucktive
KYB makes an adjustable called the AGX that works quite well and isnt near as expensive as the QA1.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have something that could help you out.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blacksheep
Elaborate Please? I understand that cal-tracs load up and dont unload until the torque is released off the differential,
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacksheep
Hook me and John(fellow MSians ) up with the info, brotha!!!! We've spent way too many hours on the phone trying to figure out how to make these things stick. I'm game for trying anything to get better 60s.

Quick Reply: enough is enough, lets talk poor man suspension upgrades