Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?

Well here's a few photos and basic descriptions of the components that would go into your Stage 2 4L60E should you decide to have one built for yourself! This is the most popular transmission to have been built at ACE Racing over the years so I thought it would only be prudent to depict those internal parts for this discussion.

This is not all inclusive as since this photo was taken I have since added new Reverse Input Drums to each and every build. No corners are cut, not one. It's always been that way, and it always will be. Period. What you see is what you get. Some of you may have seen this before, but I thought it would be useful for some of the new guys or for folks who aren't familiar with ACE's units.

I've seen several threads over the years where guys ask about what parts they should purchase for their transmission. And what better way to talk about it than to show the parts in as much detail as possible!

This is pretty much everything on the bench except for the tranny itself. In the back is the Trans-Go HD-2 Reprogramming kit that all of the hydraulic mods are based on. (I do not use all of the components, nor do I use their recommended spec's for the valve body separator plate.) After building many countless units successfully, for me it is a proven tool to use when taking a stock unit to a high performance level.

Here you can see a new Kevlar band that is wider and has heavier anchors than a stock band. In addition, a dual cage input sprag, a heavy duty Borg Warner low roller clutch, a billet accumulator piston (option), Sonnax High RPM pump slider spring, and heavy duty pump rotor/vain rings, teflon coated pump,converter bushing and other various bushings.

Detailed pic of the bushings.

Here you can see the new electronics which include shift solenoids, wiring harness, etc. Also, there is a Beast sunshell, and a Trans-Go 46-Mod vacuum modulator kit (optional). At the bottom are new 3/4 clutch reaction and apply plates.

Looking towards the bottom of this pic you can see examples of the new clutches (including the custom ACE Racing 8 clutch 3/4 stack) that would go into your unit along with the new Trans-Go valve body separator plate that is highly modified for performance and racing applications.

And of course, last but not least... all of the gasket, filters and seals are replaced with new pieces.

What is not depicted in the photo's but is standard, is the addition of the ACE Racing custom sleeve kit that prevents the input shaft from cracking or exploding the input drum hub that it is pressed into. Like I said earlier here, this list is not all inclusive... mainly because I've improved the "recipe" and these pics were taken based on a specific client's needs. Every transmission is custom built specific to the given client's application and needs. You will not find one transmission that is on the shelf waiting to be sold at ACE.

Obviously I've include a few optional parts, but those were for that particular build. If you require billet shafts, bullet accumulator pistons, a billet band servo or a highly recommended billet over running clutch piston... then yes I offer those as well and can help you decide what you need or don't need in your combination.

If you have any questions just ask here or feel free to give me a call!

g
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an awesome marketing technique. Buyers like to see what they're getting and what they're spending their money on, rather than just take others' words for it (or atleast I do). Thanks for the pics!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks a lot for saying so! Having been a Sponsor on sites of and on for many years I've found that by "showing" what goes into what I build helps to take a lot of the mystery out of it for the guys in the forums.

Being able to actually see a component laying there is much different than seeing a written description of it in my opinion!

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 02-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Props to you man for taking the time to do that. Gotta love service like that. Will definitely be ordering from you guys when the stock unit finally gives up
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Looking good dude! Good to see you on so many sites. One of the only good guys left. Ive seen you on the starting line of some VERY fast stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ace, do you guys rate your transmissions to a hp or tq level? im wondering what your level 2 would hold up to behind a h/c/i 6.0?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 07blakchevy
Props to you man for taking the time to do that. Gotta love service like that. Will definitely be ordering from you guys when the stock unit finally gives up
Hey thanks for saying so! When you get the time in the near future, pick up the phone and give me a shout. I'll get my mind around what you're up to and give you and idea or two for what we can do for you when the time comes. It's much easier to absorb the cost and down time when you can plan for a major repair like that!

g
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Red Truck
Looking good dude! Good to see you on so many sites. One of the only good guys left. Ive seen you on the starting line of some VERY fast stuff.
Haha! Yeah I've been very blessed with having earning the respect of some fast dudes who race at a high level.

For the last two racing seasons I served as the Race Director of the Outlaw Top Sportsman 4.70 Index series. But due to the amount of time it consumes I had to step away from that class. However, what that does is free me up to work with a client who comes in from New Mexico each month. He will be running in the Texas Outlaw Pro Mod Assoc. (TOPMA) and in the Texas Automatic Outlaw (TAO) series' respectively.

Clint owns a 2010 built '68 Camaro Pro Mod. It was built by Tim McCamis. It sports a 768" bullet with 4 N2O systems.

When he comes to town I am charged with putting the tune up in the motor each lap based on track and weather conditions. We'll be renting Texas Raceway (Kennedale) the Friday of the 1st TAO race in order to sort the car out and get some baseline tune ups in place for the Spring.

If we do well there we'll be heading down to Houston to run it in the 1st ADRL race this season. We'll be racing in the new "Pro Mod" class.

So yeah, I have been around some fast rigs. It really is one of my passions! Working with guys at the track allows me to help guys at the street performance level all the time.

When you see me out there, walk up and say hey and I'll show you about the car I'm with and introduce you to the guys in the pit!

g
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
Ace, do you guys rate your transmissions to a hp or tq level? im wondering what your level 2 would hold up to behind a h/c/i 6.0?
I really don't rate them on horsepower to be honest. Only because it really depends on what a guy is doing with that h/p. If he's at the track pounding on it all the time, then I would say we need more hardware inside the unit. But if he's never going to see the track, then we can rethink the built a bit.

For the combination your asking about, I would consider 5 pin planets and a nice aftermarket output shaft. But other than that, I wouldn't change too much. It really depends on what you're going to be doing with it ya know.... I don't mean to beat around the bush, but I would need to know more details about the specific vehicle before I can answer that question definitively. Typically, that unit can handle most H/C combinations with a loosened up converter and some gear in the back. But in trucks we have to consider the power to weight, and that is where we get into the gray area.

g
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for taking the time and posting this up Gilbert! I will be coming to you when my stocker gives out (hopefully not for a while, knock on wood). You've come highly recommended from some friends of mine.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what goes into an ACE Racing 4l60E?