Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

everyone with afternarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this problem with aftermarket or stock wheels...........
Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

if you have aftermarket wheels you need to have them balanced with the stick on weights. the old school weights will not cut it. I was in a car accident a while back and had to have three rims replaced and the body shop had joe-blow mount the tires and used the old school hammer on weights and it rode like ****. I took my truck to discount tires where I had purchased my tires and they laughed at me. They re-baleanced my tires at no charge and explained to me with the large rims you have to use the stick on weights and they had a name for the type of balancing but I do not recall.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok cool, i didnt know that. i'll take the wheels off tomorrow night after my bio test and check for the washers, i just had my front ones turned so i doubt that they will be on but i'll have to check the back ones. i'm pretty darn sure that the vibration is coming from the rear axle for me. if the washers don't fix it i'll go back and rebalance my tires.
I don't know about the OP but my wheels are one off billet specialties - 8x18 in front and i think 10x18 in the back.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Were those static or dynamic balanced? Static means you put weight on the inside of the wheel more of less. It only balances the tire on to correct the out of balance condition of the entire tire. Dynamic balancing will correct for an out of balance on the outside and the back side of the tire. Mine were static balanced when I first got them. One was off 6 1/2 ounces and they haven't been balanced again in the 5 years I've had them and I have zero vibrations.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem aswell and i hated it, it will only vibrate at around 65 or 70 after that its ok.
I would like to know more of these washers if anyone has any more info on them please chime in thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
Did you guys make sure the little star washers holding the rotors on were removed. They can cause vibration problems. They are on the wheel studs, usually two on each rotor.
This was my first thought when reading this thread. A lot of the "lazy" tire guys will try to take a hammer and "flatten" them out if they cannot easily take them off. This will def make the vibrations at higher speeds as you describe.

Another thing is that the wheels could still be off balance, 1- a weight fell off 2- wasnt balanced properly just some thoughts..
Old 09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

+1 on the dynamic balance. I had this done on my truck and it's as smooth as a caddy on the highway now. Also you might want to check your inner tie rods. For some reason they wear out quickly on the newer trucks, especially trucks with oversized wheels. I changed mine and it made a pretty big difference.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

where do you get tie rods for our trucks? where is the best place, what is the best one to get, who has the best prices/service, etc?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should also find out if your wheels are hub centering wheels. If they are not, ask for hub centering rings.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

my wheels were cut just for my truck by billet specialties. there is not other set like them in the world. do you think it's even possible that they are lug centric? i'm at school right now so i don't have the tools to check. Would they make a set that's not hub centric if it's for a specific vehicle? if they did i can't believe it... i paid about four grand for these wheels.

Quick Reply: everyone with afternarket wheels