Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Factory H.D. Trans cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory H.D. Trans cooler question

In preparation to modify my rcsb, I have been looking into things to do so my transmission will last longer as I add bolt ons. One particular thing was adding an external transmission cooler. The other day I found the original factory window sticker for my truck and listed on it was a $95 H.D. Transmission oil cooler, so I found it mounted in front of the radiator on the passenger side. The line for the external trans cooler runs in series with the end cap transmission cooler built into the radiator.

Is it fair to assume that having the two transmission coolers (radiator and OEM external) is sufficient for a while?

Does anyone know the cooling characteristics of the factory external vs. a hefty aftermarket? How is the heat dissipation rated?

I see that people monitor their transmission temperatures, Is this done via tuning software?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What has been done to the truck? A higher stall converter can create heat. Towing can obviously create heat. I am not sure how the upgraded tranny cooler that you have will improve things, and to tell you the truth you really need to check your temps vs a stock cooling system to see if it helps. I have a handheld scanner that I use the most for tranny temps that is made by EFI Live. There are several things you can do though. You could get a gauge cluster from a vehicle that has the tranny temp gauge in the lower left corner(I might be switching to this). You could get an aftermarket gauge for your vehicle. Or you could even get a cell phone app if you have a smart phone (I also have this, and it works great).
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
What has been done to the truck? A higher stall converter can create heat. Towing can obviously create heat. I am not sure how the upgraded tranny cooler that you have will improve things, and to tell you the truth you really need to check your temps vs a stock cooling system to see if it helps. I have a handheld scanner that I use the most for tranny temps that is made by EFI Live. There are several things you can do though. You could get a gauge cluster from a vehicle that has the tranny temp gauge in the lower left corner(I might be switching to this). You could get an aftermarket gauge for your vehicle. Or you could even get a cell phone app if you have a smart phone (I also have this, and it works great).

Nothing has been done to the truck yet. Near plans is a I/H/E 4.8, tune, and whatever else i might change my mind about. The truck will be a 6.0 eventually but of course the trans will be swapped also. I just want to be able to prevent heat build up as much as possible before i experience problems. My truck is a 2000, i did not know newer/other models came with a factory trans temp sensor. The phone app, obviously this requires an aftermarket trans sensor or is there a factory one that is not displayed? Name of app?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

trucool 40k. period.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twentyhurtz
Nothing has been done to the truck yet. Near plans is a I/H/E 4.8, tune, and whatever else i might change my mind about. The truck will be a 6.0 eventually but of course the trans will be swapped also. I just want to be able to prevent heat build up as much as possible before i experience problems. My truck is a 2000, i did not know newer/other models came with a factory trans temp sensor. The phone app, obviously this requires an aftermarket trans sensor or is there a factory one that is not displayed? Name of app?
The cell phone app for Android is called, "Torque". You also need to purchase a wireless bluetooth OBD2. You will be able to monitor on your cell phone wirelessly as the Bluetooth adapter is plugged into your OBD2 connector out of the way.

The only problem with running a tranny cooler now is that it could become contaminated before your tranny swap. If the truck is stock now, and you plan to swap to a tru cool, I would do that when the new tranny goes in so you are not pumping debris in your new tranny. Just my opinion.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
The cell phone app for Android is called, "Torque". You also need to purchase a wireless bluetooth OBD2. You will be able to monitor on your cell phone wirelessly as the Bluetooth adapter is plugged into your OBD2 connector out of the way.

The only problem with running a tranny cooler now is that it could become contaminated before your tranny swap. If the truck is stock now, and you plan to swap to a tru cool, I would do that when the new tranny goes in so you are not pumping debris in your new tranny. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the tip, I searched a little yesterday and found the Bluetooth dongle for about $25 shipped on ebay - with many variances, also found the pro version of the app for $5, so for $30 the investment is a no brainer. The program is only for monitoring purposes or can you use it to interact? I thought i remember seeing that could clear CEL codes with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use Torque... great app for the price, there are add-ins, I have the lap record and have used in on the auto-x , have used it to monitor my LS1 Chevelle and 99 Tahoe, clear DTC code.

BC