Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Finally broke something! The ring gear. Pics inside. Question about replacement, too.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally broke something! The ring gear. Pics inside. Question about replacement, too.

Two teeth half broken, two teeth unharmed, one tooth completely broken, and two more half broken. Does the damage pattern say anything about the installation or does it look normal?

I posted a thread about a weird noise the other day, which I thought was coming from the front. I think I had broken a couple of them then. Then last night, I did a 20mph punch and broke the other ones, and it got loud as f***. I made it about 50 miles to my mom's house though and took it apart to find this destruction.

Guys, if I find a used 4.10 ring gear, can I just replace that to get me by for a while? The pinion gear is not damaged at all. Yes it would be half ***, but would it work? I remember 5 years ago, the installer said he barely managed to get the crush sleeve on, so I don't want to have to deal with it yet if I don't have to.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie

Two teeth half broken, two teeth unharmed, one tooth completely broken, and two more half broken. Does the damage pattern say anything about the installation or does it look normal?

I posted a thread about a weird noise the other day, which I thought was coming from the front. I think I had broken a couple of them then. Then last night, I did a 20mph punch and broke the other ones, and it got loud as f***. I made it about 50 miles to my mom's house though and took it apart to find this destruction.

Guys, if I find a used 4.10 ring gear, can I just replace that to get me by for a while? The pinion gear is not damaged at all. Yes it would be half ***, but would it work? I remember 5 years ago, the installer said he barely managed to get the crush sleeve on, so I don't want to have to deal with it yet if I don't have to.
Where are you located???

I wouldn't suggest EVER matching two seperate ring and pinion sets, rememeber the amount of torque applied to these critical set of parts
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

theres a guy that just posted up some parts for sale on here the other day, i think he has 4.10's for sale for 100 bucks. check the classified.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I just found out that they're test run and measured at the factory, so I better not mix and match them. I've never done gears, but I did my engine, cam, and supercharger installs, so I'm sure I can figure it out. I'm in Waco TX. I think I'm going to order the Summit brand gears, they appear to be Richmond gears in a generic packaging. Anyone have any feedback on the break pattern? Is it normal?