Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Finally.....A Part I Bought Is Getting Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to tow I wouldnt drop the rear anymore unless you get helper bags or air shocks.

If you decide to sell the hangers let me know.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I'm just curious, but how does your front end alignment look after the 2" spindles and lowering the torsion bars????
Reason I ask is because I had to max out both front cams all the way positive to get it to a 0.0 left and right camber spec. The cams did not have any more adjustment. So what I'm asking is, if I do decide to use my hangers and lower the front down a tad, wouldn't the camber go more negative? Just seems logical to me. With that being said, I would not be able to bring my camber up anymore. That kind of scares me from doing the hangers now.
I will not do the California rake!!! I don't see the look into that. That's when the rear sits lower than the front. No way for me.
Anyways, I'm not too sure what I will be doing now. The Caltracs are another issue with aftermarket hangers. Though the McGaughy hangers are a bit more compatible with the Caltracs. I could still use the 3" hole in the hanger. The McGaughy hangers give you a 3" or 4" option in one hanger.
I'm undecided now........

Jim
I believe camber is not the issue but CASTOR is. Everything has been checked and rechecked and is within spec.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Truck looks way better!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
I believe camber is not the issue but CASTOR is. Everything has been checked and rechecked and is within spec.
The caster was easily achieved. I still have a -1.2 split. The GM trucks with 20" wheels or larger will want to track to the right quite a bit. Even with that low of a negative caster split, my truck still drifts to the right.
I'm sure the camber is going to be the issue. I maxed it out myself. You can play with the caster adjustment to get more positive camber, but you then begin to sacrifice some negative caster which is dearly needed.
My adjustments are good now, but concerned if I ever decide to crank off the T-bars a little.

Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Truck looks way better!
Thanks.
Which brand hangers are you using?
I have the McGaughy ones. They have two holes to choose from. a 3" drop and a 4" drop hole. If I decide to do them, I will more than likely go with the 3" drop hole to get one more inch.
Does anyone else know how the different holes work exactly? Even my McGaughy shackles come with two holes to choose from. I went for the furthest hole on those.

Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I went with Belltech on the whole deal. I do have a very light pull to the right but it is very light and not a wear concern. I say if you dont plan on towing too much to go for it. My ride height is just about the same height as a stock 2wd truck.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with Belltech on the whole deal. I do have a very light pull to the right but it is very light and not a wear concern. I say if you dont plan on towing too much to go for it. My ride height is just about the same height as a stock 2wd truck.
Your truck looks much lower then a 2wd from your pics.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Caster is not a tire wearing concern. It is only anoying, but it will not wear your tires if it does pull one way or the other.
Bad Camber and Toe specs will only wear your tires.
I do plan on pulling. Boat. Though if I do go for the hangers, the Firestone air bags will be installed as well. Add the Caltracs and a rear sway bar, and I'd have to say the rear will be pretty cluttered!

Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Anti-Sways are on my list. Freaking $500 for a set of Hotchkis sways though are enough to kill ya.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Anti-Sways are on my list. Freaking $500 for a set of Hotchkis sways though are enough to kill ya.
Geeeeeze! Didn't know they were that much!
The sways will have to wait!
I need the rest of my go fast mods first!
The sway bars will not make my truck launch harder! That's my main goal for now.

Jim

Quick Reply: Finally.....A Part I Bought Is Getting Installed!