Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

finished 4l80e swap and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished 4l80e swap and have a problem

Before the trans went in a friend and I installed a trans-go shift kit, its supposed to be auto in drive but hold 1,2,and 3 until i shift it. We'll i started the truck up today for the first time and it moves forward in R,N,D,3,2. It wont even let me shift into 1.

With engine off i can put it in neutral and reverse and push it backwards so i don't believe it to be anything mechanical.

It doesn't shift at all, even when i put it in 3 or 2 but the pcm isn't flashed for it yet so i guess thats normal.

Im beginning to question if the shift kit was installed correctly, especially since i've got 2 bolts left over that came out of the valve body, but had no holes to go back into when we were finished. Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong here?

Last edited by adam1803; 10-10-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be the manual valve. My shifter wasn't hooked up to the manual valve, so it was always stuck in first gear, even in park (you could tell there was a load on the engine when you cranked it in park.) I would suggest throwing the correct tune in there first, but that could be your culprit. We were able to drop the pan on mine on the lift and fix it w/o having to drop the tranny. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Before the trans went in a friend installed a trans-go shift kit for me
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Fixed
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I doubt you'll be able to tell anything by trying to roll it in gear with the engine off - the torque converter will slip allowing it to roll even if it is in gear.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct me if im wrong, but it does seem like a problem with the valve body doesn't it? Like fluid somehow getting where it shouldn't be?

I think im just going to order a racing valve body for it.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

I think I would drop the pan before you do that, just to make sure. I'd also get the tune in it first. What kind of "racing valvebody" are you looking to get?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scream
Sounds like it could be the manual valve. My shifter wasn't hooked up to the manual valve, so it was always stuck in first gear, even in park (you could tell there was a load on the engine when you cranked it in park.) I would suggest throwing the correct tune in there first, but that could be your culprit. We were able to drop the pan on mine on the lift and fix it w/o having to drop the tranny. Good luck.
Forgive me for being transmission illiterate, but is that i have circled the manual valve? If so, it wasn't hooked up. Now i've got everything but reverse, and of course it doesn't shift because of the tune.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Yup, that's the manual valve.

I had a Transgo installed incorrectly, and I didn't have reverse. The forward gears worked fine. If you don't have reverse now, I would suggest that it might be installed incorrectly. I had to get a core valvebody and another shift kit and have mine redone. Mine was messed up by an incompetent shop--I replaced the Transgo w/ a Superior shift kit and I'm not very happy with it.

But get the PCM reflashed FIRST and then go from there. Good luck man.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanks. Did you ever figure out what was done wrong the first time?

Quick Reply: finished 4l80e swap and have a problem