Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

finished installing transgo 4l60e-hd2-c and servos in 2008 chev 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished installing transgo 4l60e-hd2-c and servos in 2008 chev 1500

well first i went and bought new gaskets from gm for my transmission which shows up to be the same part number all the way back to 2004 4l60's. i had read a post on another forum of a fellow putting in a 4l60e-hd2 kit on a 2008 truck and the transgo gaskets didnt match up with the sep plate. (post was a few years back)

well the gaskets in the transgo kit worked. all the holes in the sep plate where matching up with the transgo gaskets. so thats good. i received the latest rev C kit. it was dated 04 on the papers but the 3-4 rev spring kit that comes with all hd2 kits had 2008 instructions. so they must still be new enough instructions. btw... i had my old instructions from way back when i did my '98 truck (4l60e-hd2-a kit) there was way more things a guy changed in that kit then this one. but anyhoo.

i installed new aluminum 1-2 and forward clutch pistons. the 4th accum piston is already alum in the newer transmissions. the boost valve i could not install due to wiring on the boost valve. tcm must be able to control line psi now. a tcm tune will get my line psi up im sure. so no boost valve is gonig to work on these new tranys unless the trans pump is out. everything valve body worked fine as per instructions. i did not put any shims in the 1-2 accumulator. but im wondering if i should have... if i remember right that only affects part throttle 1-2 shifts and not WOT.

i also put in the corvette servo and sonnax 4th servo assembly. i ordered the longer servo pin. i guess i didnt really need that. i never installed any shims against the corvette servo which comes with the transgo kit. i fiqured with the longer pin my clearance will be tighter. put it in and checked it out. while pressing quite firm on the servo cover it doesnt travel very far. alot less than stock but when released i checked the band movement has per the instructions and it moved quite easily on the drum... so i guess it must be good.

i never took it for a good drive yet. i backed it out of the shop and drove a few blocks home. 1-2 shift is not much different than stock. but we will see tomorrow. make sure nothing is leaking, fluid full and then once WOT i should notice way firmer shifting all the way thru the shifting patterns. i wonder what the tcm is going to do. when i did this kit on my '98 truck... wow that shifted perfect... like a trans should from factory. christ for a little extra they could just put in corvette servos at least.

ill post back on results tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you haven't already had it done in your tune . . . adaptive learing needs to be disabled.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Teching In

i also installed a transgo hd2 kit in my 05 RST in the spring and on the first drive nothing really seemed different, it wasnt until i got my custom tune that the neck shattering shifts kicked in. it was a night and day difference!
The first test drive on the new tune with the hd2 was jaw dropping, ive always owned manual transmission vehicles and going from a t-56 truck to an A4 was a bummer for me, but this shift kit made my auto more fun than i ever had in my manual.

word of advice. be nice to your 60e, after a few hundred punch burn and harsh down shifts and upshifts (all within 4 months) my trans is now slipping. so ill be rebuilding that this winter 8). get a tune, and get an after market trans cooler, youll need one after you find how fun its going to be.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Teching In

no i have done nothing to the tcm yet. ill have to get that reprogrammed. i dont have efi live. yeah that learning thing will most likely keep the shifting normal for the most part. have to take it for a rip to day and check it out.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Teching In

well i took the truck for a longer drive yesterday... put on 400 km round trip. i had the tcm programmed for adaptive learning off, line pressure upped, tcm removed... those were the 3 three things i requested to be done. so that part of things should be good.

but some things i noticed:

1. the 1-2 shift is still pretty much like stock at part throttle. it seems to be much firmer at WOT but doesnt squeal the tires when it shifts.

i did put the corvette servo with the longer servo pin in so i didnt put no gold shims in that came with the hd2 kit. it seemed like i had the assembly bottomed out which gave just enough room to install the retaining ring. but band on drum moved side to side very easy with no pressure on the outer cover. when prying on the servo assembly with a bar it doesnt travel very far at all... i thought my 1-2 shifts would be much firmer at part throttle because of this alone. i also have to mention for the 1-2 accumulator housing... i put in the transgo springs and turned the piston like they say but i did not install any of the 3 shims that come for firming up the 1-2 shift. so maybe thats what i should have done. maybe i need 1 spacer in there to make it a little stiffer.

2. what would happen if the 1-2 accumlator bushing and valve was installed 180 degrees?
i know i had it the right way up when i installed it... 100% sure of it.. but i cant remember if i put the roll pin thru the very back side not hitting the hole in the end of the bushing valve so the roll pin keeps it from rotating. i dont know if you can push the bushing/valve further in so that can happen or does it just bottom and then you cant miss the hole?

3. trans doesnt feel like its slipping at all. no shudders or anything. seems to be good that way. trans doesnt get hot... running quite cool.

4. the 2-3 shift and 3-4 shift seems good. way faster than stock. plus when the torque convertor decideds to lock up its right away and seems to hold way longer than stock. must be that sonnax 4th servo. lockup seems to be a quick almost like another gear. not the stock sliding and slow lockup. so thats good to see.

when i have some more time... maybe i should install a psi guage and just make sure the psi are good when its in each gear. if it is then all should be good that way. just have to maybe take pan off and adjust with more shims.

so any feedback would be great. thanks.

Last edited by killerrf; 09-18-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

If the accumulator valve and sleeve were installed 180* out the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts should be hard. By doing this you basically block the function of the valve. Also with the late 1-2 accumulator housing you must install one steel washer with the gold spring seat.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If the accumulator valve and sleeve were installed 180* out the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts should be hard. By doing this you basically block the function of the valve. Also with the late 1-2 accumulator housing you must install one steel washer with the gold spring seat.
ok thanks for the reply... i guess ill have to take my pan off again and throw a washer in the housing to firm up my 1-2 shift a little more. i wish gm would have put a drain plug on the tranny pans... would make it so less messy.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Teching In

doing some more reading and the plug that is right in the way of the boost valve on these newer trannys is the vehicle speed sensor wire connector. it says now you cant access the boost valve with this in the way and only can be removed when the pump is out of tranny.

so has anyone able to remove this plug without removing pump from tranny to change boost valve?!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tootall
if you haven't already had it done in your tune . . . adaptive learing needs to be disabled.
i thought only dmaxs had this?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCSIERRA5.3
i though shiftkit was suppose to make your tires chirp between 1st and 2nd gear
Well it's not exactly "supposed" to, that's not the intention of a shift kit. The idea is to get a solid, positive shift without any slop or slippage. The shift kit can be set up for different firmness, depending on how hard you want it to shift. Too hard a shift can break hard parts in the trans and/or the driveline.

Quick Reply: finished installing transgo 4l60e-hd2-c and servos in 2008 chev 1500