Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

flip kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default flip kits

Can/will someone post up pics of how these things are made specifically? I'm looking into making my own and designing it for track and proper pinion angle etc... The more and more detailed pics the better, Thanks in adance!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Pics of flips with caltracs would be great too!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flip kits are a piece of cake. You can buy new perches, round U-bolts and make a square bottom plate. Or buy new perches, cut off your old ones and reuse the stock u-bolts/plate.

Here is how I did mine retaining the original spring perch incase I ever want to go back stock.

*note* center hole has not been drilled in lower plate yet. but was drilled prior to installation.

If you want any help doing yours and your caltrac build let me know. It has been on my list of things to do for a while.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

very clean setup Zach. what are the other brackets for? (hangers?)
i need redo my setup like this. the djm flip kit i used sucks and it has the pinion pointing up positive.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
very clean setup Zach. what are the other brackets for? (hangers?)
i need redo my setup like this. the djm flip kit i used sucks and it has the pinion pointing up positive.
Thanks. Yes the brackets are rear hangers. I made them to achieve a 5" drop.

Forgot to include a link to the spring perches I used: http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performa...20074/10002/-1
Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Thanks Zach!! That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind but I may have the bottom plates wedge cut to achieve a certain pinion angle. I've already got the cal-tracs. I was going to build some for the ext cab that worked better but it seems the ones out of the box work well on reg cabs due to the wheelbase difference. I guess I'd mainly need the perches and U bolts? The bottom plates come with the kit from calvert if I'm not mistaken

I've got a kit for a 2/4, but after talking to Scott @ Calert Racing, he's going to swap me for a set of flip kit rear mounts.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

did you or do you not have to weld those new perches to the axle? What keeps if from rotating?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Thanks Zach!! That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind but I may have the bottom plates wedge cut to achieve a certain pinion angle. I've already got the cal-tracs. I was going to build some for the ext cab that worked better but it seems the ones out of the box work well on reg cabs due to the wheelbase difference. I guess I'd mainly need the perches and U bolts? The bottom plates come with the kit from calvert if I'm not mistaken

I've got a kit for a 2/4, but after talking to Scott @ Calert Racing, he's going to swap me for a set of flip kit rear mounts.
You shouldn't need to wedge cut anything. Just rotate the axle to your desired pinion angle prior to welding the perches on.

Just get the perches from jegs/summit http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performa...20074/10002/-1 and the U-bolts from the auto parts store. Total cost ~$30

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
did you or do you not have to weld those new perches to the axle? What keeps if from rotating?
This style must be welded to the axle.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

pm member DUMPD04, he has pics of his setup
Old 04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Ill search his pics

I don't mind welding the new perches on, in fact it'll probably let me get the pinion angle better... I don't angle cutting the plates will get me what I want... I need to adjust the perches themselves.

Quick Reply: flip kits