Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

flip kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtosilverado
i think its time for me to lower my truck and u did say you could re-use the stock u-bolts ??? im probably goin to cut the front springs 1/2 a coil or so, i already have spindle up front.

also., the perches from summit are 10 each, the ones from jegs are 13 for the pair...... it says sold in pairs.... so i think, correct me if im wrong
sorry, edited my post. Had the wrong link.

Yes you can re use the stock U bolts. You will have to cut off the factory spring perch and basically flip the U bolts and the plate over. That way the plate and the threaded part of the U bolts are on top of the axle.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

you cant use the factory U bolt...because it actually a square on the OEM setup.

thanks for the info on the perch sheering. i will definately box the ends knowing that.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
you cant use the factory U bolt...because it actually a square on the OEM setup.

thanks for the info on the perch sheering. i will definately box the ends knowing that.
you can. With the factory u bolts you put them back on the spring just like they were from the factory. Only point them up towards the bed instead of towards the ground. wish i had a picture...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ehhh buying new u-bolts will be less of a hassle. what about the "shock extenders" ??? dont really need them ? they dont seem to actually extend but change the angle of the shock...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The flip kit I have is a McGaughys. The perch plate actually wraps all the way around the axle tube and the end tabs slide into the bottom of the original mount. They are fully boxed and it works really well. The U bolts push it all together when you tighten them.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i swapped my djm saddles for the belltech, but im gonna weld some spring perches in place instead. anyone know or can measure the distance from the base of the plate to the bolt hole where the heim joint bolts to on the caltracs for a flip kit?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

if you use those perches, you need to weld some flat bar on em to prevent axle wrap. this way you wont have to weld anything to the truck and it can be removed easily. just measure your flat bar out, weld em in, and if they're too long grind em down till they fit. This is how I did mine on my old '96 and I had em on there for 3 years until I sold it and they still going strong.
here''s a paintshop edit of what im talking about.
put some flatbar on both sides of the perch.
also you can buy pinion shims that will sit under this perch.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM
11 Second Truck Club

now this is a spring perch...
http://calvertracing.com/springperch.php
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
The flip kit I have is a McGaughys. The perch plate actually wraps all the way around the axle tube and the end tabs slide into the bottom of the original mount. They are fully boxed and it works really well. The U bolts push it all together when you tighten them.

i actually broke the welds at the perches and pushed the stock perches up with those blocks.... my rear end was almost vertical.

i would deffinately weld the perches on .
Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

One thing to add as well would be to bend the bottom plate to keep it from warping inward towards the u-bolts. If you have the equipment to bend it just give it about a 45* bend for insurance.

Quick Reply: flip kits